IGNORED

About to change my first tire

bkuhr

With tire changer I made. Have had for long time auto changer simular or same as HF. pic 1

Only permement mod was to weld a 5/8 nut to top. pic 2

Cut hex to fit 5/8 nut in 1/4 plate and welded to old 14-15 auto rim(anti rotation). pic 3

Just set rim over nut on stand. pic 4

Tread 5/8 all thread into nut to tight(notice hole at top for screwdriver shaft). pic 5

Another piece of 1/4 plate with 5/8 hole and 5/8 jam nut secures auto rim to stand. pic 6

Split rubber tube on edge of auto rim protects MC wheel. pic 7

MC wheel placed down all tread. pic 8

5/8 washer and another nut secures MC wheel to auto rim/stand. pic 9

Piece of plastic water pipe protects all thread-threads when tire spoons pried against. pic 10

Final view. pic 11

Also built balancer with lumber. Appears to work, same spot of existing tire/wheel always stops same.

Now I just need to commit to do it.

Edited by bkuhr

I have a suggestion for an improvement.

I used to use a similar set up, except it was mounted on a bench. I also put a hole in a length of 2x2 and used a nut to run it down the all thread. I could tuck the end of a spoon under it to hold the starting point as I worked my way around. I could also put the spoon out under the end to hold the bead down as I worked a new tire on.

http://xjbikes.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10730/thirdhand2.jpg

It's been awhile since I used it. I think that extra block probably gave me something to tighten against so it didn't spin or cock up.

I was able to get rid of that pesky third arm and hand that made it really hard to buy shirts.:rotf: