IGNORED

Where's Fuel Pump

awsmsrv

Since I'm at work & can't look it up, can someone tell me if the fuel pump is in the tank? This morning I started off to work, as usual. Got about a half mile up the road & bike starts stumbling. Oh yeah. Forgot to flip petcock yesterday back to reserve. I usually don't put it to "ON", but, just to keep things working, I turned it down. Turned it back to reserve, but, bike will hardly start, if it starts at all, then dies within 15 seconds or so. I was actually going to get gas before heading to work, as I was 14 miles into "F". Good thing from my home to where I was, is all up hill, so, I turned around & coasted back down the hill to home & took the truck to work.

I've heard it's not good to run the gas down to empty if the fuel pump is in the tank because it uses the gas as a lubricant & coolant & if you're that low, it could damage the fuel pump. Is this an issue with this bike? I've never had a problem like this before & I almost always fill up with about 5.25-5.75 gallons. I now have 40K miles on it & another 7 months on the warranty, so, if it is the fuel pump, I assume it's covered. Any other ideas out there? I guess it could also be a clogged fuel filter? Thanks.

Thanks, Eck. One more thing: one of the times I tried to restart after turning the key off, I heard the clicking of the fuel pump. That doesn't usually happen when the bike is warmed up. Could this be an indication the pump is dying?

The clicking sound is a good thing...as the gas is being consumed the fuel pump will click to keep correct amount / pressure in the fuel line..

As beer30 mentioned tap on the outside of the fuel pump with the handle of a screw driver or something. You do not have to beat the snot out of it..just tap it a few times..

This may help you for the short term, and if it does then I would get the pump replaced ASAP..

Warning / Caution note:

One more thing here that I just remembered...well partially remember....

On the left side cover, the AFT #10 Allen head screw is the one you take out (if I remember correctly)..The forward Allen head screw you do NOT touch..it is fake...

SOMEONE....please correct me if I am wrong here..

I am trying to remember back about 2 years ago when I had my 05 Venture..:think:

Yes, Eck, you're right. On the right cover, too. Could be good places to add some kind of switch for something or other.

"your ignition switch may be going ka-put"

Shouldn't be going ka-put. Had it replaced earlier this year.

Yeah, the forward bolt on both side covers is just a dummy. But,,,

if you ever loose your shifter bolt, it will fit till you can get a replacement.

So, don't dis that dummy!

You can do a gravity feed to bypass the filter and pump if you want to eliminate them, to find out what's wrong. Takes about 15 minutes. Be careful about spilling fuel,,,.

(Remove seat. Turn off fuel petcock. Pull the tank bolt - you don't have to remove the tank, just lift the rear of it an inch or so, maybe put in a block of wood to raise it. Use a long needle nose to pull (unclamp) the feed line from the filter, then pull the line (unclamp) to the carb on the right side. Then connect the tank line direct to the carb feed. Before you try to start it,, remove the left side cover and disconnect the fuel pump connector so it won't spew it's remaining gas. Oh,,, turn back on petcock now. Try to start it. If you have a mostly full tank, it should start up and run fine,,, your problem is the filter or pump. If this works, then you have a bad filter or pump.

If it's the pump, you can run on gravity if you keep the tank above 1/4 full, till you get one. If you plan to do more than test,, get a $3 inline filter till you are back to normal.)

I ran a week and 1000 miles without a pump.

Yes warranty is good. The Yamaha stock part (Mitsibshi) is $300.

If you are out of warranty, someone on this forum has posted a after market $45 replacement.

Oh, if it does not run okay,,,, your ignition switch may be going ka-put.........

Mike G in SC

Edited by Mike G in SC

You might want to put a little gas in just to make absolutely sure it has some.

Did that. I always carry a fuel bottle just in case. Anyway, got home today after work, started up like nothing ever happened. Supposed to rain big tomorrow, but, maybe I'll take her out tomorrow to fill up & see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice, guys. Said it before, but, I love this place. Don done good with creating this forum.