IGNORED

Can the controller on the left-hand grip control an iPod Nano?

Humbucker

I was out browsing at my local Yamaha dealership this morning and they had a 2002 or 2003 Venture sitting there, I opened the door for the cassette player and noticed that there's a small hole on the right hand side, probably where you'd plug in your iPod?

Once your iPod is plugged in, can you operate your volume up and down from the handlebar controller?

How about skipping over to next song, is that something else that is possible using the handlebar controller?

Also, how would you rate the sound quality that's on the Venture's stereo? And is it loud enough to keep up with wind noise at higher speeds?

It must sound pretty good I would think, especially since there's even a pair of speakers located at the back of the bike too.

I was out browsing at my local Yamaha dealership this morning and they had a 2002 or 2003 Venture sitting there, I opened the door for the cassette player and noticed that there's a small hole on the right hand side, probably where you'd plug in your iPod?

Yes, though there's also a plug inside the fairing. You can use a splitter there and route the wire where ever you want. That way you don't have to leave the cassette door open all the time. I have mine routed to the trunk, along with power, with a Cowon 30gig hard drive based player in the pouch. (Contrary to lore the hard drive based player has worked fine for four seasons, though it's just tossed vertically into the pouch so the vibration doesn't bother it much.) I like the Cowon units because I can use a better audio format (codec) and have better sound. With all you have going against you on a motorcycle I think you need to start out with the best audio you can get.

Once your iPod is plugged in, can you operate your volume up and down from the handlebar controller?

Change to AUX and you'll hear the audio from the jack. You'll also be able to turn the volume up and down. You will probably need to run the player at a fairly high volume too.

How about skipping over to next song, is that something else that is possible using the handlebar controller?

Nope. We're waiting on BikeMP3 to come out with a Venture player that will replace the CD. If they ever get it made and available you'll be able to control it as if it were a factory CD player. This device is, however, beginning to look like VaporWare - talked about but never built.

Also, how would you rate the sound quality that's on the Venture's stereo? And is it loud enough to keep up with wind noise at higher speeds?

Ok. It'll do.

There's an Alpine amp (KTP-445) that is pretty small that can be used to boost the output to 35W per channel, at which point you can add a set of Polk 401s, or something like them, for better sound.

It must sound pretty good I would think, especially since there's even a pair of speakers located at the back of the bike too.

It's ok, but you're only going to get so much out of the low wattage and small speakers. I prefer headphones.

I use that port to plug in my GPS, and yes it does control the volume. It does not allow me to skip songs from the gps..only volume. The quality of the speakers is just ok, good to listen to in the garage, not on the highway. Just get yourself a good set of speakers for your helmet and them plug directly into the bike. I have found that this works best for music.