IGNORED

Has anybody tried the lifesaver TCB yet?

Guest Zachtcb

Guest Zachtcb

I am just lookin for feed back. Have anybody received and installed the part yet? If so, how do you like it? I have to say that this part works wonders on the fronts. The reason is weight transfer. This part will not completely eliminate lock up. Just a much more controllable situation.

Regards Zach

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KitCarson

My excessive chirper is now a normal chirper....pipes are backordered.......I will order one of these things for the rear maybe tomorrow or the next day.....go get me a can of brake fluid with the proper friction modifiers, I prefer the energy saving kind.......put the thing in right quick run down to the big church parking lot and try it out. ......will be my next project. Will do this....should not take long........Kit

Guest KitCarson

Hey Zach........for the 2nd gen........850 pound bike.......any testing.......knowledge........which device do you think we should use.......for front and back........riding two up adds depending on who....400 pounds with some stuff in the trunk......that is maybe 1300 pounds max. Which ones should we use. Kit

Guest Zachtcb

I would go with an orange on the front to start then put a green on the back. The reason for those....Orange is a very nice feel and easily controlled on the front. The reason I like to put on the rear is because you want to maximixe as much wheel slip needed based upon weight transfer. If that seems to soft then switch up to a red on the rear. Here is a quick story about a venture. I was out on a demonstration here in the twin cities. There was about 65 members there to see what the part does. After about 8 runs doing front brake panic stops. It was pretty bad asphalt..anyways. There was a guy who called himself Zuggs. He has stated he could stop faster than on my sportster. I told him that this isn't a challenge, and based upon liabilitys I cant except any challenges and carried on with what I was doing. Before you know it this guy is running his bike into the pavement doing a quick stop. He slid about 12 feet or so. He was a little scratched up. He was ok, that is what counted. We all watched the guy tuck a front wheel on that bike. He was going about 35mph. The reason for the story is if you use your brakes how they were intended, you would use your fronts more than the rear. I would say to try this part on the front brefore put it on the rear. You will be much more satisfied on how this part works...Thanks again for the support.

Regards Zach

Guest KitCarson
I would go with an orange on the front to start then put a green on the back. The reason for those....Orange is a very nice feel and easily controlled on the front. The reason I like to put on the rear is because you want to maximixe as much wheel slip needed based upon weight transfer. If that seems to soft then switch up to a red on the rear. Here is a quick story about a venture. I was out on a demonstration here in the twin cities. There was about 65 members there to see what the part does. After about 8 runs doing front brake panic stops. It was pretty bad asphalt..anyways. There was a guy who called himself Zuggs. He has stated he could stop faster than on my sportster. I told him that this isn't a challenge, and based upon liabilitys I cant except any challenges and carried on with what I was doing. Before you know it this guy is running his bike into the pavement doing a quick stop. He slid about 12 feet or so. He was a little scratched up. He was ok, that is what counted. We all watched the guy tuck a front wheel on that bike. He was going about 35mph. The reason for the story is if you use your brakes how they were intended, you would use your fronts more than the rear. I would say to try this part on the front brefore put it on the rear. You will be much more satisfied on how this part works...Thanks again for the support.

Regards Zach

There is alway one in every crowd:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:I would have died laughing. Hey I went to your website....did not see how to get my two for one discount......but did find your phone number......will call you today sometime and get the orange and green. Will look nice with my yeller chaps. Do not mind me....I start each day out with a smile. Kit

Guest KitCarson

Hi Zach: The TCB brake devices are installed on Crickett. I did that just a bit ago when I got to the house.....put the front one on the master cylinder up at the control grip and the other on the rear caliper.......bled the brakes and got a good hard pedal again. Have not had time to go play with them. Will do that in a large Church parking lot in the morning sometime. Then I will take Sandy for her afternoon ride and check them out some more.

One thing I did notice during installation........the factory banjo bolt fits nicely....threads turn freely........the new devices as they are stainless steel are a little firm in the threads of both the caliper and the front master cylinder. They fit okay......just have to be quite careful to make absolutely sure they are not cross-threaded and then you do have to use a wrench to tighten them.........the last part of the way.......no way you can run them to the stop like the factory bolt......I did take one of them back out.....checked it with the banjo bolt....seems to be fine....

Will say more .....after tomorrow. Kit

Guest KitCarson

When some of you read this......do not run out and try it.....unless you have some experience under your belt....I have years of moto-cross and flat track under my belt..and I actually do about every 60 days go to an empty parking lot and practice low speed handling and braking. I do believe in safety and practice and to know what I and my machine is capable of. So be cool.......do not dump your bike.

I took the TCB things for a ride just now....I have 1/4 mile of sand and gravel for a drive way.....so I would power up to about 25 and lock the wheels and slide for about 15 feet...I was just playing....please do not do this

I got to the parking lot and practiced low speed turning and handling for a bit......gradually working up speed and getting used to the new feel of the brakes in the corners....then pointed the bike straight and accelerated to 35 mph.....hit the rear brake hard......no front brake.....yes the feel is softer...but the rear brake locks just like normal. I tried it again twice......yep it locks each time.......and with the rear brake.....other than a more controlled feel.....I really do not see any difference. It still locks up pretty quick, and will certainly do so in an adrenalin attack!!

Now the front brake......I am impressed...yep I am. I started with this one gingerly........about 20 mph....and it worked pretty smooth.......did it again......hum.....pretty smooth......so I put it up to 35 mph and really romped on it(no rear brake) it brought me to a smooth stop. Okay I am getting cocky now!! This time I tried to play like I was having an adrenalin attack and really concentrated on pulling that front brake lever hard....yes I can lock the front......but it takes a whole.......lot of pull........I mean a lot.

Next I used them like they should be...front and rear together......Now I am even more impressed!! Using the front and rear brake as intended.....more front than rear..you can bring this big bike down to a stop from 60 mph in very short order.....what you get is a much more controlled and smooth operation of the brakes.....especially the front. You should not worry at all about the front locking up on you unless you really romp on the brake lever.......at normal usage and speeds......that front one is amazing.

I think what the TCB does is smooth things out....give you a little more leeway in actual use of the brakes......The rear one is just so....so.......the front is to me the big improvement. Like I have always said.....use common sense.....the rear one will still lock up pretty quick.....but you just train yourself to let off if you hear the tire squall or feel that right hand slide...then hit it again.......used with the front brake.......Yes if you learn to use it.....it may very well save your life. I can stop Crickett from 60 mph in what ? 40 feet? it is quick!! The main advantage I see is the smooth control of the front brake......yes you can lock it if you try.....and Crickett likes to crow hop the front tire when locked......but over all........it is an improvement.....used with common sense.

Okay Zach......chime in .......you cannot hurt my feelings.....I tried my best to do it right....to give an honest report........I think the front brake is a huge improvement, the overall smoother control......but common sense still has to be used with the rear brake. Kit

Kit, thanks for the review. I learned a lot. I will look forward to getting mine installed as well.

I don't have the experience you have, so will use a LOT more caution and practice. I can't quite follow through yet till I heal up, but I'm improving.

Guest KitCarson
Kit, thanks for the review. I learned a lot. I will look forward to getting mine installed as well.

I don't have the experience you have, so will use a LOT more caution and practice. I can't quite follow through yet till I heal up, but I'm improving.

HI Orrin: We just got back from our Saturday afternoon ride, the weather is absolutely perfect......it is in the 60's, cool enough to fight the motor heat....warm enough to be enjoyable. I played with the brakes some again just before coming home....two up ........is the same, only thing, the Venture will slide the rear tire straight with the extra weight on the back.....other than that.......is the same as my experience this morning. Kit

I don't know if it is good or bad, but when it comes to a emergency I would like to know that I can lock the brakes up if needed. it is nice to have more control, but lets look at it every way, if you have been covering quite a distance and somewhat fitigued, or if it is cold and you have gloves on, you may not have the strength, grip, or ability to pull hardenough to stop yoursef as needed and if you have a passanger, it may be even more dificult to stop becouse of the extra needed pressure. My understanding is that a divice similar to this was manufactured for cars quite some time back and was outlawed, lawsuits because of the inefectivness of the brakes. If you go to the gold wing sight there has been a discussion on the same thing and over all the advise is against them. I will take my chances with experience practice and knowing my bike, not some overpriced item that it would take 3 of to fit all the brake systems on my bike, ( two front brakes, and one rear brake).

It's just one of those things that everybody has to make their own decision about. I just happen to feel that anything we can do to improve these brakes is a good thing. I've ridden a lot of years (about 50) and a lot of different bikes. I've not only practiced but even took the Advanced Riders course on the RSV and went through the emergency braking maneuvers and in my opinion, they just lock up way too quick. I have the proportioning valve on the rear that I got from Rick Butler and I have the TCB from Zack that I'm going to put on just as soon as I have a few spare minutes. From reading Kit Carson's review on the TCB, I've decided to go with it AND the proportioning valve and see how that works out. I can tell you for sure that even with the proportioning valve, you can still lock up the rear tire fairly easily. Not near as easily as without it though. I guess I'm saying that you can easily lock it up if you try but not as likely to do so accidentally. I'm thinking that it and the TCB will be the optimal solution.

Also, you do not need 3 of the TCB units, only 2. one for the rear and one for the front. You can put the front one at the master cylinder or lower where the lines split. I'm thinking of putting mine lower where the lines split. Will probably require some trimming of the black plastic shield though.

Guest KitCarson
I don't know if it is good or bad, but when it comes to a emergency I would like to know that I can lock the brakes up if needed. it is nice to have more control, but lets look at it every way, if you have been covering quite a distance and somewhat fitigued, or if it is cold and you have gloves on, you may not have the strength, grip, or ability to pull hardenough to stop yoursef as needed and if you have a passanger, it may be even more dificult to stop becouse of the extra needed pressure. My understanding is that a divice similar to this was manufactured for cars quite some time back and was outlawed, lawsuits because of the inefectivness of the brakes. If you go to the gold wing sight there has been a discussion on the same thing and over all the advise is against them. I will take my chances with experience practice and knowing my bike, not some overpriced item that it would take 3 of to fit all the brake systems on my bike, ( two front brakes, and one rear brake).
Hi John: This will be my last comment on the TCB until someone else gets to test them also. But I have always believed whatever can help and not hurt.....is good. If it cannot hurt you......then it can only help you. My installation of these devices has had mixed results(the goldwing has one front brake linked to the rear or the one I rode did.) As for the use of this device on the rear brake.......I honestly cannot tell much of a difference........nada......none.........it will give you a warning that it is about to lock as you can actually feel the device work. Is it a help in everyday use........the rear.......I say no......not a bit....that rear brake still locks way,way too soon.

The front brake seems to me to work very well.......I am going to let others try them before commenting more. It may very well be as I have learned to use the front brake a whole lot.......I use it all the time.....most of the time..........that I have simply learned to bring these big bikes to a stop very quick.......but the device does smooth out the front brake.....cause you to have to really pull to lock it up........gives you the confidence to romp on them if you have to....so I will say it does improve the front brakes.

Bottom line.........if it only helps just a tiny bit........any is better than none. I do think it is a waste of time with the back one.......Kit

Guest Zachtcb

Hello everyone thanks fro the feed back. I Suggest this valve for the front before I would put it on the rear because, all of your braking power comes from the front end. As Kit said it smooths out the braking. You can still lock it up when the time is right for you. As for the rear. It is real hard not to lock up the rear on any bike based upon the weight transfer to the front in the braking sequence. As Kit has stated it does keep you strait up and down with out sliding out. As Freebird had stated, If we can help out in any way in the brake sequence, why not use it?

Regards Zach

Guest Zachtcb

I am also impressed. Thank you so much for review Kit. I hope that there are more people to take the time to check this part out. I would have say the same about the front. Amazing. Thank you again for the support.

Regards Zach

Also, you do not need 3 of the TCB units, only 2. one for the rear and one for the front. You can put the front one at the master cylinder or lower where the lines split. I'm thinking of putting mine lower where the lines split. Will probably require some trimming of the black plastic shield though.

Don,

Actually he has a first Gen bike and I wouldn't think he would need the device at all. In my experience the first Gen bikes have excellent brakes.

But you're right he only needs two of the units I think, one for the foot master cylinder and one for the hand master cylinder.

Although I have done nothing to improve my brakes as yet I agree anything you can do to help them you should do. I'm still playing with the idea of linking the brakes as soon as I can get the parts together I think I need. That's scary isn't it? A carpenter working on designing a braking system.

Jerry

Guest KitCarson

Hey Don: I know very little about most things and some about others:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:but little about most!! However I do know quite a bit about hydraulics. Moving the TCB unit down, cutting the fairing, and fabrication of a Y-fitting to accept the threaded TCB unit will not help. With water or any solid medium, the transfer of power within the fluid will occur at any level. As short as the brake control lines are, there would be no measure of significant loss due to friction with the control fluid. You would have to have a lot of line length to affect the power transfer and many more fittings in the lines. Kit

Guest KitCarson
Kit,

My idea of mounting it has nothing to do with the lengths of the lines and etc., I just really don't want it on the master cylinder. The place where the lines split already has a banjo bolt and etc. and will be the same as installing it at the top.

I understand, it is not chrome, for a fact, I think you will be quite please with the front brake installation, you will have to play with the rear one and just see, I am quite curious about the use of the TCB in conjunction with the proportioning valve also. I have just trained myself not to use the rear brake much, only at slower speeds, or if messing around like riding the cones, then I ride the rear brake and keep the bike under power all the time. Take Care........Kit