IGNORED

Windows 7 - Don't throw your scanner out

SilvrT

If you're like me and have been using the same old scanner for the last 10 or 12 years and the thing works for all you need it... but have upgraded to Vista or Win 7 only to discover your scanner is not supported by either windows or the scanner MFG .... DON'T THROW IT OUT!!

I almost did this with not only my own personal scanner but also one here at the office.

Then I found this program called VueScan ... http://www.hamrick.com/

It will install drivers for you. At least it did for our old HP scanners. Voila` ... both scanners now work in Windows 7 !!

VueScan has been around for sometime. Good code. One of the few affordable scanning application that will do true color calibration. If you do any amount of scanning go with the professional version. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it supports my new Epson V600 photo. It will bring "new life" to your old scanner as it will maximize the scanning features as SilvrT stated.

I'm on a roll this week ... figured out how to install/run an app that normally isn't supported in Win7 also.

We run a program here called Cisco Agent Desktop. It communicates with a Cisco VOiP phone server and our agents use it to manipulate the incoming/outgoing phone calls.

It wouldn't even install in Win7. So, I set the Properties of the installer to run under "pervious version of Windows" ... it then installed just fine. I then set the program's .exe to run under "Windows XP" compatibility ... it works perfectly!

What this means is... if you have older peripherals or older software that don't seem to work or even install in Windows 7, there is a workaround to maybe get them working and save yourself from going out and upgrading that peripheral / software.

Too late dumped old scanner and got new one when I went to Vista last year:bang head:

yep... I went to Vista too ... and almost dumped my scanner... but I set my system up to dual-boot and have pretty much been running winXP since (coz Vista suks)... so I was able to continue using the scanner.