IGNORED

final drive oil replace

Remove the left saddle bag, four allen screws, two under the foam pad. Drain it from the plug on the bottom plug, replace and fill from the top plug until you can't anymore. I use either Mobil 1 or Castrol Synthetic gear oil.

Its easy.....place a pan under the final drive. Underneath is a bolt (17mm I believe or was it 14?) Remove the top bolt, loosen the bottom bolt and remove slowly. The oil will drop out. Torque the lower bolt and using a small funnel, fill the final drive from the top location. I usually fill it to just below the bolt hole opening. Torque the bolt and your done. I usually drain and fill the final drive after every oil change. That step really isnt necessary but since its so easy I just go ahead and do it. I dont have the torque specs right now but I think they are less then 18-20 lbs.

Hey Larry,

I usually change the Final Drive Oil every time I change the rear tire. If you have recently purchased your scoot, or it has never been changed, then now is a good time to address this issue. At the left rear of your bike, behind the saddle bag, you will find the final drive.

Use what ever you use to level the bike from side to side. (Carbon One Lift Adapter, M/C Jack, etc.) Since I usually do this maintenance when I am removing the rear tire for replacement, I remove the left rear saddle bag. If you are just doing the Final Drive oil, you MAY be able to squeeze in there and get it done without removing the bag. There is a plug in the bottom of the Final Drive Unit, with a drain pan under the drain hole, remove the plug and let the oil drain out. You will need a pretty small drain pan, and the unit only holds about a pint of oil. While the ol is draining, I remove the fill plug, (half way up the unit, on the angular surface) I clean both plugs and the area around the holes. When the oil is finished draining, put the drain plug back in and tighten. Fill the Final Drive Unit with 80W90 Hypoid Gear Oil until it is just barely coming out of the fill hole, install the fill plug, Re-Install the side bag if you have removed it, lower the bike to the ground, and go for a ride!

Hope this helps,:thumbsup2:

Earl