IGNORED

J+M headset issues

gunkylump

Beth and I both have J+M headsets for our half helmets. I forget the model #, but they install by slipping them in between the liner and the shell of the helmet. This year we installed the mic-mutes, and I love them. We have the show krome windshield on the bike, so Beth experiences quite a bit of buffeting and wind noise.

The speakers cover our ears very well, and we both experience some heat issues and are generally not happy with the speaker quality. So, to get to my question...

Can I adapt a set of ear buds to replace the speakers? If so...how do I do it? By doing so, we can rid ourselves of the heat issue in the warm weather...(we really noticed it on our last vacation ride to Texas), and improve the sound quality at the same time.

I'm a novice at this type of retro fitting...so some very plain instructions would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

gunk:hurts:

My wife and I had the same problem. We bought the adapter that digger shows. We got ours from edsets but it looks like the same adapter and the price of $55.00 is the same. We bought a set of ear buds from wal mart for $14.00 that we use with the adapter and it works great. The quality of sound is much better and since you arent' using speakers mounted in a helmet you can use any helmet. We use the half helmets in the summer because it is so hot and in the winter we use 3/4 helmets. Having the earbuds in your ears also reduces the wind and road noise. It's a little pricey having to buy 2 adapters but it has been worth the money for us.

I haven't tried this but I think this is the adapter you need: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HA

We would need this one?

Earplug Headset Adapter, 5-pin DIN

Earplug Headset Adapter, 5-pin DIN, for Gold Wing and other 5-pin DIN intercom systems, allows earplug speakers to be worn along with a standard helmet headset.

gunk:banana:

My wife and I had the same problem. We bought the adapter that digger shows. We got ours from edsets but it looks like the same adapter and the price of $55.00 is the same. We bought a set of ear buds from wal mart for $14.00 that we use with the adapter and it works great. The quality of sound is much better and since you arent' using speakers mounted in a helmet you can use any helmet. We use the half helmets in the summer because it is so hot and in the winter we use 3/4 helmets. Having the earbuds in your ears also reduces the wind and road noise. It's a little pricey having to buy 2 adapters but it has been worth the money for us.

I e-mailed Edsets and this is the reply I got:

Our universal adapter, 5-5 pin model EA-55 is what you want. They are under Universal Adapters on our main page at EdSets.com.

Ed

Thanks for all the replies and insights, now I know what I need!

gunk:big-grin-emoticon: