IGNORED

Starting issues

I have an 83 Venture that will not start using the starter. The engine turns over then backfires. the fuel pump does come on.

I can bump start and it runs great once started. I have checked the battery, it has a good 12 volts. I have replaced the battery cables with 4 gage wires. I also have replace the old fuse box with a new blade type box. I get an initial spark to all the plugs but after a revolution or two no spark except for the left rear it always seems to have a good spark. I have pulled the spark plug wires clipped have inch off each end and re-attached with no change.

I have read something about the ignition switch causing the back two cylinders to not fire. What do I need to look for with that?

I have the faring off to be able to get to the coils and the TCI. I will be testing the coils resistance today. I have service manual.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have an 83 Venture that will not start using the starter. The engine turns over then backfires. the fuel pump does come on.

I can bump start and it runs great once started. I have checked the battery, it has a good 12 volts. I have replaced the battery cables with 4 gage wires. I also have replace the old fuse box with a new blade type box. I get an initial spark to all the plugs but after a revolution or two no spark except for the left rear it always seems to have a good spark. I have pulled the spark plug wires clipped have inch off each end and re-attached with no change.

I have read something about the ignition switch causing the back two cylinders to not fire. What do I need to look for with that?

I have the faring off to be able to get to the coils and the TCI. I will be testing the coils resistance today. I have service manual.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

12volts on any battery means it's almost dead. You should be getting 12.6-12.9vdc. I think a new battery in in order. Check with Bohanon about the Deka ETX18L. $82.95 ask for Jason, tell them you're with VentureRiders, and I think shipping is free.

Are you checking coils per attached PDF cut from service manual ?

You can also unscrew cap from coil on secondary wire and snip about a 1/4" off.

Another thing to try since it will start when you bump it is to start bike using another battery right to starter.

It may be your starter is pulling so much current that there is enough voltage drop that the TCI can not function when cranking.

Do NOT jump from a vehicle that has the engine running. Clamp the negative lead from donor battery to any good ground, and touch the positive side directly to the starter positive post. Doing it this way only puts the donor battery power on the starter, it is separate from the bikes system.

Gary

Edited by dingy