IGNORED

Help with hard drive

muffinman

I have a 500 gig western digital hard drive that took a fall while I was in Afgahnistan does anyone on the site have the whatever it takes to get the data off of the platters I can tell you this that the motor locked solid and the platters both have a white square mark that showes where the heads were are supposed to park

Thanks

Jeff

I hope you find someone that can do it 'cause I could use their talents too. Because of a cheap HDD cooler plug I was able to flip the power plug 180 degrees on a HDD about 5 years ago. 5 volts went to the 12v pin and 12v went to the 5v pin. I've kept it hoping to find a way to get the photos and songs off of it.

I did get a quote once from a company that said $350 and hour and no guarantees. :shock3: It wasn't THAT important.

It requires an extensive process for data recovery like that, involving specialized equipment, and a clean room to say the least. $350 is a pretty cheap quote. The company we use charges an average of $800 if there is a hardware failure.

Its not cheap to get data off a dead drive. As far as I know you'll have to send it in to a service that specializes in that. The tolerances are way to close for the average user to just swap out motors and such. Beside that, they are put to together in a clean room and dust on the platter does a lot of damage at 7200 rpm.

I won't buy WD's they have the highest failure rate of any of the drives we use.

Its not cheap to get data off a dead drive. As far as I know you'll have to send it in to a service that specializes in that. The tolerances are way to close for the average user to just swap out motors and such. Beside that, they are put to together in a clean room and dust on the platter does a lot of damage at 7200 rpm.

I won't buy WD's they have the highest failure rate of any of the drives we use.

yeah, thats how I see it. Although i have gotten lucky and taken the cover off a drive and gave it a spin by hand to start and then the motor was powerful enough then to keep it running until i got my info off. I wouldnt try this with anything valuable though, it was just a try-it and see-if-it-can be done thing with non critical info. Check around,i seem to remember a place here in Canada that will wont charge you unless they get your info off the drive, BUT they aint cheap when they get it.

Brian

Brian

Edited by friesman