I am new to the v4. bought a 1987 VR a short time back. It makes like a squeak. When I bought it the dealer said is was the venture wine. I have riden it just about 3500 miles and no problem, the noise hasn't changed. This chirp is like three rapid chirps, a slight pause and starts back over. You don't notice it after the rpm come up some or while you are riding, but at a idle, it is rather loud. Is this the chirp that is talked about or is there something else I need to be worried about?

I am new to the v4. bought a 1987 VR a short time back. It makes like a squeak. When I bought it the dealer said is was the venture wine. I have riden it just about 3500 miles and no problem, the noise hasn't changed. This chirp is like three rapid chirps, a slight pause and starts back over. You don't notice it after the rpm come up some or while you are riding, but at a idle, it is rather loud. Is this the chirp that is talked about or is there something else I need to be worried about?

On my '85 I had similar noise...seemed to be coming from the water pump yet I replaced the pump and no change. On my '87 I get a noise at idle when the clutch is pulled in but as soon as I let the clutch out, the noise disappears. Funny thing about that tho, it doesn't always do it. Frankly, I learned to live with the noises these 2 scoots make coz nothing seems to fail on them. Guess it's kinda like the old Triumphs and BSA's... they rattled like crazy as if the engine was going to blow apart yet nothing happened...that's the way they were....ya gotta live with it (in most cases).