IGNORED

front shock dip

Greetings!

I've noticed in the past few months that the front end of my '99 RSV has started dipping really far in the front whenever I stop. When I sit on the bike and push down on the handlebars I get almost no resistance and a lot more travel than it seem I should on the front shocks. I put 7lbs of air in the front shocks over 9 months ago, and just checked the pressure... still 7lbs. So, I assume by that there are no leaks. I did put on 15lbs of weight, but I hope I don't have to get on the treadmill to keep the front end from diving every time I stop. Any ideas?

Greetings!

I've noticed in the past few months that the front end of my '99 RSV has started dipping really far in the front whenever I stop. When I sit on the bike and push down on the handlebars I get almost no resistance and a lot more travel than it seem I should on the front shocks. I put 7lbs of air in the front shocks over 9 months ago, and just checked the pressure... still 7lbs. So, I assume by that there are no leaks. I did put on 15lbs of weight, but I hope I don't have to get on the treadmill to keep the front end from diving every time I stop. Any ideas?

Oddly enough I started noticing the same with my 06 but it might be contributed to the high heat we're experiencing lately.

I'm having the front end serviced soon, and hope to install gold emulators which alleviate a lot of that dipping.

I think the books recommends servicing the front shocks every two years... I doubt mine were ever done before I bought it in 08.. so it's due time to have it done.

I THINK this bike has an anti-dive system, so that would seem to be the first place to look. If your bike is still under warranty I suggest you have it checked before you start making changes.

Goose

EDIT: Looks like I was completely wrong about the RSV having an anti-dive system - I cannot find any reference anywhere, and I have no idea where I got the mistaken idea. Sorry.

Edited by V7Goose
Hedge my bet about anti-dive - cannot find it now!

If your bike is still under warranty I suggest you have it checked before you start making changes.

Goose

unfortunately, this bike hasn't been under warranty for about a decade. I'll look in to the anti-dive thing though. I'm a drive-train wrench monkey. I'm not too up on suspension-related stuff.

Thanks!

Edited by Mordalo
adding a thank you for the info from the previous poster.

Goose, is the anti-dive system part of the shocks, or how does that happen?
Good question Jerry - I'm thinking I was wrong on this, since I cannot find any reference to it tonight. I was certain that I saw something in the specs on the bike when I bought it way back in 2004 about an anti-dive system - just squirreled that bit of "information" away in case I ever needed it. Or so I thought. Now I'm wondering if I just got some wires crossed in the brain!

I'll look a little deeper in the morning and update this thread.

Goose

unfortunately, this bike hasn't been under warranty for about a decade.

Thanks!

Yeah, I can see that from your original post - sorry. I Saw Seaking's reference to his 06 and the brain got derailed. Guess I'll have to revisit this tomorrow after some sleep!

Goose

It's all good. I appreciate the dialog. I also found a couple of references to an anti-dive component when reading disassembly instructions, apparently towards the bottom of the shock. But nothing on what it does exactly or how to troubleshoot it.

Yeah, I can see that from your original post - sorry. I Saw Seaking's reference to his 06 and the brain got derailed. Guess I'll have to revisit this tomorrow after some sleep!

Goose

Please do let us know if you discover anything..

Mine is out of warranty this month so I'm out of luck (US warranty bike in Canada).. I still have to have my front axle heli-coiled and the neck bearings replaced so I'm taking that opportunity to have the forks fully serviced. Its at that time I was thinking of having the Gold Emulators installed or Progressive springs. It makes for somewhat of a stiffer ride but a more sure-footed ride. I had Progressive springs installed on my V-Star and what a huge difference those made in the handling in corners and braking. Like night and day.. There are a lot of long sweeping curves around here that have humps and bumps in them and when you hit it the wrong way, you often wonder if you'll be tossed into the guard rails.. Its not something that will happen but it's that odd feeling you get when the front end does it's weird thing, ya know?

Since the front end comes off for the neck bearings and axle fix, I might as well take that opportunity to improve my ride, no?

But with which one, GE or PS? There are articles here of people doing both and enjoying either / or..

Cheers

Well, I cannot find any reference to an anti-dive system on the 2nd gen bikes, so it seems I was completely wrong about that. Checked the bike specs, the owner's manual, the parts breakdown and the service manual. I have absolutely no idea where I got that mistaken idea. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Goose

Well, I cannot find any reference to an anti-dive system on the 2nd gen bikes, so it seems I was completely wrong about that. Checked the bike specs, the owner's manual, the parts breakdown and the service manual. I have absolutely no idea where I got that mistaken idea. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Goose

No worries, thanks for looking into it though..

Cheers