IGNORED

Zumo 665 questions

jryan

Couple of questions about the new unit:

1) With NavWeather, it shows you the current radar image. Does it indicate direction of storm movement and speed as well?

2) The Garmin website says it is NOT geocaching friendly. Just wondering if it can also be used on battery power for things like mountain biking routes, hiking routes, etc.

Thanks for the info...JR

Just a couple of more answers.

Yes, the radar does show you the direction the storm is traveling. It is an actual radar image that is on a loop so it does show the movement. Don't know yet about the time though.

The until should work fine for bicycling or whatever. It seems to work fine on battery power EXCEPT you will not get the weather. The NavWeather is part of the XM service and only works if the XM puck is connected. The puck plugs into the mounting brackets and I'm pretty sure that it would have to be connected to the vehicles power before it would work. Actually I suppose all I need to do is unplug the power and see if the XM still works but I'm sure that it won't. I will check that today.

Music from the built in MP3 player does still function on battery power so with a headset, you would have music. Not sure how long the batteries would last with navigation and music going though.

Good deal, I was especially concerned that I could see how the weather was moving, but with the looping that's what I was wondering. Thanks for the info Don!

In a way I was hoping you'd say it didn't work that way so I'd have a good reason NOT to put it on my wish list...I mean besides the cost that is!

One further update. I did unplug the DC power from it yesterday and the XM does work on the units battery power. So, as long as the until is in the cradle and the XM puck is connected, you would have NAV Weather even with battery power. Not exactly a portable solution with all of that but would work.

Sounds good, thanks for checking! I could've used that weather radar yesterday while trying to dodge storms. But the price is still too high to justify it for occasional use...maybe they'll have a big Christmas sale this year! But I won't be holding my breath! Thanks again...JR