IGNORED

92 Venture, no spark

Last month I picked up a 92 Venture project bike in pieces, bad rear driveline and final drive. The bike had sat for at least 6 years, supposedly ran real well prior the the driveline/final drive failure . I now have it reassembled and am ready to get it running.

The problem is that I do not have any spark to any of the four cylinders. I find a lot of information for the models prior to 1990 with the two pickup coils, but not very much about the single coil system.

I checked the wiring to the pickup coil, took the crankcase cover off and inspected the internal wires to the coil, cleaned the connection. By the service manual, the coil ohms out within spec's. Can anyone tell me what the pn is for the single pu coil?

Took apart and cleaned the right handlebar stop switch. I cleaned the contacts for the ignition coils and ohm'd them as well, they also tested out good. Have not yet looked at the side stand switch or the emergency stop switch.

I also cleaned the fuel tank and lined it, cleaned the carbs, fuel pump and installed new fuel lines and filter.

I suspect that my problem may be the TCI. Is there a diagram of the tci box for the 90-93 models with the pinouts and ohm values available? What is the best way to remove the TCI? I have the battery and air box removed so far.

If it is the TCI, anyone have experiance with the ignitech TCI unit on a 90-93 Venture? Is this a better way to go than finding a used one? There do not appear to be a lot of used ones available for these years.

Anything else I need to be looking at?

Thanks

Clean connections on TCI and see what happens. If you have air & battery box out they are easy to get to. If this don't work taking TCI out is a little trickey. You can feel back the sides of it and feel the screws with the boxes out of there. If you can remove the screw on each side take TCI out and open it up carefully. Clean carefully anything you see in there that looks like it needs cleaned. Put the entire TCI unit in the oven and bake it for a couple hrs at about 125. The wiring harness will have enough slack that you can put air & battery boxes back and put TCI on top of Air Box so you can get to it in the future.

I would check stop switch.

The "TCI disable" (here called B/W Kiickstand SW) kills the ignition if, in gear the sidestand is lowered, the tipover switch is detected, the "engine kill" switch is engaged... any of these provide a ground to pin "D" on the TCI large connector... pop it out and you have no ignition disable... however, after you resolve your ingnition issues, you need to keep in mind you have bypassed these safety switches ! You also need to insure that, with the small TCI connector removed and the ignition switch "on" that you have 12 volts on pins 2,3,6 and 7 (from the ignition fuse, and through the coil primaries.).

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/tci/tciplugs.jpg

Edited by mbrood

Cable from pick up coils, to the TCI. there is and in line pull apart plug. This plug has caused a lot of ignition problems over the years.

Check the Plug at the TCI ( see wireing diagram ) make sure you have supply voltage to the TCI.

Be sure to check the Plug between the Alternator and the Regulator unit. For burnt pins.

Also, do a Resistance check across the Ignition Switch ON-OFF Contacts.

Pull the Electrical connector of of the " Pressure Sensor ", make sure no water, or crud, or moss, or any such thing is growing inside the Rubber Boot, that covers the Electrical plug. IF, so--- This can short out or drag down the voltage supply to the TCI. Its hooked in parrallel with the TCI, off the Same Fuse--- ( Ignition Fuse )

Just for the heck of it, Open each Drain on each carb bowl, with key ON, make sure the fuel pump runs and pumps fuel thru each bowl with the drain open.

Open up the Main 40AMP fuse, make sure the screws holding the fuse element are in place and tight

Witch Hunts-- in no particular order.

Also, if bike was sitting that long. I would Go over EVERY Electical connector with a good electrical contact cleaner, and apply dialectric greese to ALL of the Pins, in ALL of the plugs.

This happened to my 93,no spark what so ever, on the driver side at the big plug check with an ohm meter to see if the is any resistance for the pick up coil. If I remember right it should show between 110-130 ohms. If it show none, bad pickup coil.