Im going to need a clutch resevoir that has good sight lenses in it, I will be screwing up the one on the bike to extract the screws that are all bugered up.

some people should not be allowed to use tools!!

I wanted to check the fluid levels, sight glasses are completely fogged, pulled the chrome covers and the screws are completely messed up I will have to drill them out to get the covers off.:starz:

If anyone has one Im looking for one let me know ,Thanks.

Im going to need a clutch resevoir that has good sight lenses in it, I will be screwing up the one on the bike to extract the screws that are all bugered up.

some people should not be allowed to use tools!!

I wanted to check the fluid levels, sight glasses are completely fogged, pulled the chrome covers and the screws are completely messed up I will have to drill them out to get the covers off.:starz:

If anyone has one Im looking for one let me know ,Thanks.

Try Ebay. PinWallcycles has a good supply of used VR parts.

:fingers-crossed-emo

It sounds like you are indicating that the phillips-head slots are trashed.

Try this:

• first, secure the handlebars with straps to the frame of the bike so they cannot move; front tire should be straight-ahead
  • then, using a hammer, strongly tap a good-quality (high-tensile) phillips-head screwdriver vertically into the screw; this will help re-define the slots
  • then, spray around the screw with some Blaster, CRC, or WD-40; let sit for a few minutes
  • then, drive a pin-punch, at a right angle, into the upper outside edge of the damaged screw slot, in a counter-clockwise direction

Most of the time, the screw will loosen and you will not have to drill it out; you can just replace the screws. In lieu of replacing the reservoir, you could just check the fluid level when you do periodic maintenance, like an oil change.

Thanks to Muffinman for showing me this technique during his recent visit, which proved to be much less work and difficulty than drilling out the screws!

TERRY

It sounds like you are indicating that the phillips-head slots are trashed.

Try this:

• first, secure the handlebars with straps to the frame of the bike so they cannot move; front tire should be straight-ahead
  • then, using a hammer, strongly tap a good-quality (high-tensile) phillips-head screwdriver vertically into the screw; this will help re-define the slots
  • then, spray around the screw with some Blaster, CRC, or WD-40; let sit for a few minutes
  • then, drive a pin-punch, at a right angle, into the upper outside edge of the damaged screw slot, in a counter-clockwise direction

Most of the time, the screw will loosen and you will not have to drill it out; you can just replace the screws. In lieu of replacing the reservoir, you could just check the fluid level when you do periodic maintenance, like an oil change.

Thanks to Muffinman for showing me this technique during his recent visit, which proved to be much less work and difficulty than drilling out the screws!

TERRY

This works well, but I had 1 resiovor I had to slot screw with dremmel tool, then tap out with punch at edge of new slot. Need to use worn dremmel bit with very small diameter to avoid also cutting slot into lid. :080402gudl_prv:

So far it sounds like a whole lot of over engineering. Just take a drill with about a 5/16" bit and drill the head of the phillips off. You may need to go to 3/16" to get it clean down to the top of the threads. The reserve top will lift right off. Afterwards take a visegrip and remove the stud. Takes all of 2 minutes.....

So far it sounds like a whole lot of over engineering. Just take a drill with about a 5/16" bit and drill the head of the phillips off. You may need to go to 3/16" to get it clean down to the top of the threads. The reserve top will lift right off. Afterwards take a visegrip and remove the stud. Takes all of 2 minutes.....

This will be my method of removing the botched up screw, it fits much better with my mentality ( Millwright for 15 years)

I appreciate all of the replies and advice!!:thumbsup2: