IGNORED

Trailer wobble

hillrider

A friend of mine with a Stratoliner just went to the darkside. He intends at some point in the future to pull a camper behind it. The boys got more gonads than good sense, but hey, he's older and wiser that me. And I'm not young.

But to the question. Whats the best way to get out of a wobble/tank slapper?? (other than tongue weight/elevation being right to start with).

Edited by hillrider
spelling

Mine pulled the tank slapper routine on a trip last year. I poured the coals to it and it straightened right out. Correct rear tire inflation and load distribution (in the trailer) is very key to pulling a trailer safely.

A friend of mine with a Stratoliner just went to the darkside. He intends at some point in the future to pull a camper behind it. The boys got more gonads than good sense, but hey, he's older and wiser that me. And I'm not young.

But to the question. Whats the best way to get out of a wobble/tank slapper?? (other than tongue weight/elevation being right to start with).

back in April of 81 i had a bad wobble that turned into a tank slapper; the way out at that time was over the handlebars and 3 months in ICU

id say hit the throttle Hard dont touch the break or let off it

dray

I know a lot of bikers pull trailers, but I just can not seem to get myself to do that.

Just chicken I guess

Gregg

You just need to pull the right trailer. I can't speak for any but my Bushtec and honestly, I forget it's back there!

I have to adjust my mirrors just to keep reminding me it's back there!

It's worth every penny I paid for it!!

Craig

the best thing to do is load your trailer so you have about 40lbs of weight on the hitch, use bathroom scales and something to hold tongue about same as hitch. after a couple of times loading it you'll get a sence of about how the tongue feels with right load. if the bike starts a wobble keep a good grip and a steady throttle and apply the rear brake lightly, while keeping the engine loaded and slow down easly, or thats what i do.

pulled a trailer with my Kumho which I found had a torn belt.

I was getting (sometimes) a side to side wobble. At first I thought it was the wind and play in the hitch. I went through a set of 12" tires in 1100 miles.

With time the belt on the tire broke and created a serious rear wobble on my bike....without the trailer.

I have since gone back to a motorcycle tire and the trailer is pulling fine and the bike has been great "again".

I modified my trailer to accept 12" wheels and it's like one poster mentioned....you forget it's there. I still ride fairly aggressive on the twisties and properly loaded....I don't blink.

I might try a Kumho again but will not seat the tire at 100 plus pounds. If I get decent mileage out of this Avon (above 6000)....I'll stick with them.

My 2 cents:)

load distribution

load your trailer so you have about 40lbs of weight on the hitch

I agree with these comments but one other thing is to make sure there is no Heavy weighted items behind the axle. Heavy items on or in front of the axle.

Brad

Thanks all, he's recently went to the darkside and with those tires running not a full pressure, the sidewalls have to be a little squishy. Seems like its asking for trouble with 400lb trailer.

One of the reasons I went to a car tire is because of the increased load capacity.

If you run lower pressures as you would on a car, it's gonna squirm. I run 38 PSI with the trailer attached and no squirm. I found that the Nexen is much less stable than the Kumho. Nexen is a two ply side wall rating. Kumho is four ply.

One of the reasons I went to a car tire is because of the increased load capacity.

If you run lower pressures as you would on a car, it's gonna squirm. I run 38 PSI with the trailer attached and no squirm. I found that the Nexen is much less stable than the Kumho. Nexen is a two ply side wall rating. Kumho is four ply.

I just got back from pulling my LOADED down Time out camper from Dallas to Austin, and didn't change my rear tire pressure any. It pulled just fine, albeit quite heavy. 4th gear the whole way.