IGNORED

ANOTHER death in Iowa

bryan52577

FYI

If you are riding through Iowa, WATCH OUT! :yikes: Between flying matressess and now trucks crossing the center line running you off the road. Two trucks aginst little motorcycle is just BAD.

BE CAREFULL OUT THERE!!!!!!!!

GARNER - A Minnesota woman died this morning in a motorcycle truck accident two miles west of Garner on Highway 18 at just after 9:30 a.m..

Diane Mackenzie, 56, of Roseville, was killed when the motorcycle she was riding was involved in an accident with three other vehicles.

According to the Iowa State Patrol, MacKenzie was westbound on Highway 18, when she turned her 1993 Honda motorcycle to the shoulder of the roadway to avoid contact with an eastbound vehicle that had crossed the centerline. Upon reentry to the driving surface, Mackenzie lost control and the motorcycle stated to skid and was struck by a semi. Upon impact, the motorcycle and rider were forced into the path of an International boom truck.

The accident was investigated by the Iowa State Patrol with assistance from the Garner Police Department and the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.

Brian, Iowa seems to have had its share of motorcycle deaths this year. I expected it to rise this week with all the Goldwings running around. The good news is most Goldwingers wear a lot of protection especially helmets.

Brian, Iowa seems to have had its share of motorcycle deaths this year. I expected it to rise this week with all the Goldwings running around. The good news is most Goldwingers wear a lot of protection especially helmets.

True Iowa has had its share. But, the last three were all wearing helmets too. There are a lot of things, even a helmet will not help you in.

Guy lost control in Des Moines, hit by car, had helmet on.

Kid on wrecked ATV found by a driver, had helmet on.

Guy hit by flying mattress, had helmet on.

Lady lost control after being ran off road then hit by TWO trucks, had helmet on.

All resulted in deaths too.

The best defense is to educate the public to watch for "smaller" vehicles, and to be visible when on a bike, and ride smart, (not smart a$$ like some). Just my :2cents:

Bryan

Here in Pa. as well. Last Sunday we get back from Thunder in the valley at Johnstown and while relaxing watching the local news and there were I beieve four people killed and the 5th one is in critical condition. Appears to be a van and 4 or 5 bikes. I haven't heard what the cause was, as they were still investigating the accident and according to the news all were wearing helmets, but the impact still caused the deaths. Not sure of all the details but I believe they were all family members, may be some one else from Pa. will know more details, such a shame, almost makes me think if it's worth riding anymore, just to many boneheads in cages and the lack of respect for us riders.

ANKENY, Iowa --

http://www.kcci.com/images/structures/buttons/button_enlarge.gif

http://www.kcci.com/2010/0708/24189952_240X180.jpg

A crash on Interstate 35 north of Ankeny killed a 20-year-old rider Thursday afternoon.

Police said Daniel Breuer, of West Union, was killed in the crash.

Breuer was riding his motorcycle southbound and ran into the back of another car stopped in traffic around 5 p.m.

The driver of the second car involved was not injured.

Breuer was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

Here in Pa. as well. Last Sunday we get back from Thunder in the valley at Johnstown and while relaxing watching the local news and there were I beieve four people killed and the 5th one is in critical condition. Appears to be a van and 4 or 5 bikes. I haven't heard what the cause was, as they were still investigating the accident and according to the news all were wearing helmets, but the impact still caused the deaths. Not sure of all the details but I believe they were all family members, may be some one else from Pa. will know more details, such a shame, almost makes me think if it's worth riding anymore, just to many boneheads in cages and the lack of respect for us riders.

I have thought this same way over my 51 year riding time frame, and I have concluded that the rider bears the most responsibility for his/her safety. Yes there are distracted drivers (drugs, alchohol, cell phones, texting, children, etc. etc.) but if I ride as I should these people are minimal. The constant head turning/eyes looking will point these problems out unless they come up from behind. And motorcycles are weak against greater masses so if you ride, ride smart. I have never had an encounter with another vehicle while riding, but I have had many scares. If you feel the fear when you ride, then it is time to quit. If you feel the need to be cautious, then you are right on target.:backinmyday::backinmyday:

:farmer:

Guest tx2sturgis

Not trying to hijack the thread but a helmet is not terribly effective in a multi-vehicle head-on encounter above about 40 mph. Your braincase might be unharmed but the other internal injuries can make you VERY dead.

But look on the bright side...maybe there could be an open coffin at your funeral.

As Sylvester stated, the most important safety gear you own is the 3 pounds of neurons between your ears, BEFORE you get hit...