Shadow,

Yes, the proceedure does refer to what you need to do, but they give the impression that you only need to remove the drive unit for 83-85 Ventures. The truth is that ALL Ventures need to have the drive shafts re-greased. 86 and later have a seal on the rear driveshaft coupling that keeps the grease in the coupling much better than the unsealed early bikes. But eventually the grease will still break down. How many miles on your bike?? When was the last time the driveshaft was greased?? There was a post her a month or so ago about a 2nd gen that the owner had put 80,000 on before he greased the shaft. I bought a low mileage 89 a year and a half ago, and this winter I did the driveshaft. You should buy a new seal before you pull it apart. You grease both the front and rear couplings with molybendum disulfide grease. Other Venture riders say that Honda dealers have some good grease of this type. I purchased my grease at an auto parts store, but stay away from CV joint grease for front wheel drive cars because it's a little too thin and doesn't hold up. You want a thick grease. Some people say that there is a hole that allows rear end lube to lubricate the rear coupling. Actually the hole is to vent the shaft unit and only lets shaft lube (80W) flow onto the coupling when the drive unit is on it's side. At 38,000 miles, mine probably had never been done and still would have been OK at least another year.

The article also mentions greasing the rear suspension linkage. Over the winter I added the zerk fittings so I could grease it without taking it apart. It works great and it's not difficult. There are articles here describing how to do the project, but maybe with a trip coming up so soon you could wait until winter to drill and tap holes for the fittings. You can also change the lubricant in the shaft drive unit. Pull the plug on the bottom and let the old lube drain out. Replace the plug and pull the top plug and fill it with 80-90W or even Synthetic rear end lube. I put dinosaur oil in mine last summer, but next change I'll swith to synthetic. I used it on my 83 and the shaft drive unit ran a bit cooler.

You use lithium based grease for the shaft drive unit to wheel coupling and also on the rear tire drive hub. Automotive wheel bearing grease is what you need. I've got a container of water resistant grease for boat trailer wheel bearings that I use.

Frank D.

Frank, thank you!

I don't see the seal anywhere on the Driveshaft part fiche...any idea a part number so I can order?

Shown towards front end of the shaft, in the diagram.

#30 OIL SEAL 93108-43013-00