IGNORED

Repair 8 Pin Amp/Radio Connector @ Wire Harness

Vonwolf

My 87 RSV project is close to winding down, as you all know it'll never end but it looks acceptable and run's good so I'm happy. I got the Bike kinda cheap but it was missing allot of the electronics and never owning a Touring bike before I figured who Needs a radio, it's a bike?

Well I need help with the radio actually the female 8 pin main audio connector in the left side Faring. The white plastic female 8 pin connector on the bikes Wiring harness was cut off. I have the connector but I don't know if there is a way to reuse it or if I can get one from some where that will plug into the male 8 pin connector from the Tuner/Amp unit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I still have lots of questions about this electronics that I find I just can't live with out but one thing at a time.

Thanks Pete

(I reposted this here in hope that a answer will come from a electronic form)

progress.gif

I knew there had to be a way to get the individual wire connectors out of the larger plastic housing. The small metal connectors plug unto the housing and have a 1 way catch. You just stick a tooth pick in the end between the plastic latch and the metal connector and it pulls right out.

Now all I need to do is try to reuse the small wire connectors by some how undoing the factory crimping or finding new ones.

Is there enough wire left on them to solder to?

Ya that looks like the only way to go, I can get the crimped part at the insulation off OK but there is no way I'll ever get the wire un-crimped? it's just too tight. So soldering is the only way to go.

It's just so hot out I doubt I'll need a soldering iron. I still have to try Radio Shack to see if I can buy the small connector's individually who knows I might get lucky.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another way you could do it.If you have an old scrap computer laying around open it up and there are molex connectors sets used as power connections to the hard drives and such. Use a couple sets of them to replace the one molex that is broken in your 87:clap2:.Make sure to polorize the connectors so you know wich one goes where. Just splice into the connectors, solder and finish with heat shrink.A very cheap solution.