IGNORED

Need a hard line power for I-pod Nano

Sylvester,

Wow, you must use it constantly. On day long rides I've never come close to running out the battery. Sounds like you're getting your $ worth !

Not sure on the hardwire, but for a quick workaround, I'm guessing you know that they sell cigarette lighter adaptors for the nano? Takes mine under 30 min to fully charge. I also take an AC adaptor with me on multi trip days, plug it in after several days riding and I'm good to go.

Let us know how you end up going with the hard wire.

Bob

I use an iAUDIO hard drive based music player. I got a charger for it that's designed to plug into the lighter in a car. I cut off the cylindrical plug-in part, since it was mostly air with two wires running through it, then wired it to the fuse block I put behind the battery. The little rectangular box that the charger became when I cut off the lighter snout lives under there too. Since it's out of sight under the seat I used a couple of wraps of electrical tape to close up the hole left from trimming up the box.

I ran the power wire into the trunk through the hole for the CD changer wiring, along with the audio wire from the splitter inside the fairing. Both of those wires plug into an adapter that plugs into the bottom of the iAUDIO. It gets turned on then tossed into the mesh pouch to just play all day. When we run out of stuff to listen to on the radio I tune to AUX.

I chose to set it up to run from the mesh pouch because it's hard drive based. It's not hard mounted and it's vertical, so vibration and shocks don't kill the hard drive. Since there's no way to control it in the trunk, I have set up a number of very long play lists and pick one of these at the beginning the day.

I have a Kuryakyn switch box on the clutch master cylinder (had to make a little 1 x 1 1/2 inch adapter plate to move the audio pod out a bit for clearance) and use one of the switches to turn the charger on and off.

I've used it this way for over four years.