IGNORED

Plugged the AIS yesterday - - with a wire nut!

I love duck tape. It's almost as big a miracle of modern science as velcro. Without duck tape, we'd have no McGuiver! It's a life saver, and a go-to tool in the absence of anything else to use.

Is it permanent? Hell no. Exposed to the elements, it will break down over time. Is it messy? Hell yes. I hate the way it feels when you get that adhesive on your hands.

But I do love it so. :bighug:

Guest PlaneCrazy

I've just had my Venture for a little over a month now and have about 3000km on it. I get a few pops from the exhaust every now and then but usually only when I am starting it up hot or being hard on the throttle on a cold engine. The bike had it's first service with the carbs synched and what not.

I'm a mechanic and understand the AIS system but I'm still learning about the Venture and I was wondering if this bike had the problem that my last Honda had where it came from the factory with the carb mixture screws adjusted way to low for emissions. For example, my ACE was supposed to have 2-1/4 turns on the pilot screws but they were at only 1-1/2 when I examined them. This seemed to have been common with well over 50% of the bikes delivered to customers. This caused a lean misfire on many bikes, which became very noticeable if you went to an aftermarket pipe or punched your baffles.

I was just wondering if the RSV had any issues with the pilot screws (or even if it had pilot screws). The Carb section in the service manual seems pretty slim with no mention that i can see of setting up the idle air/fuel mixture or air bleed.

I've just had my Venture for a little over a month now and have about 3000km on it. I get a few pops from the exhaust every now and then but usually only when I am starting it up hot or being hard on the throttle on a cold engine. The bike had it's first service with the carbs synched and what not.

I'm a mechanic and understand the AIS system but I'm still learning about the Venture and I was wondering if this bike had the problem that my last Honda had where it came from the factory with the carb mixture screws adjusted way to low for emissions. For example, my ACE was supposed to have 2-1/4 turns on the pilot screws but they were at only 1-1/2 when I examined them. This seemed to have been common with well over 50% of the bikes delivered to customers. This caused a lean misfire on many bikes, which became very noticeable if you went to an aftermarket pipe or punched your baffles.

I was just wondering if the RSV had any issues with the pilot screws (or even if it had pilot screws). The Carb section in the service manual seems pretty slim with no mention that i can see of setting up the idle air/fuel mixture or air bleed.

ALL engines come from the factory adjusted on the ragged lean edge these days, including this one. Factory settings on the mixture screws are around 2-2 1/2, and proper CO spec is achieved around 3 1/4 on the rear cylinders and 5 on the front cylinders. And yes, a richer idle setting will make the bike less sensitive to other problems that can cause an afterfire.

But I still want to stress that this bike, in box stock trim with the anti-tamper caps still in place on the carbs will NOT have an afterfire if something else is not wrong.

Goose

• 2 weeks later...

Guys its your bike, if you want to plug the ais plug it, its not going to hurt it.

I took it completely off my 2000, but haven't touched on the 04, the 04 does not pop.

No back to wonders of duck tape, keep a roll in my truck at all times.

Along with a roll of hay wire, that's a law in South Ga.

I mean the mythbusters built a sail boat out of it, and actually sailed it.

simply amazing. :rasberry::motorcyclehelmet:

Gregg