IGNORED

Jumper wire 84 Venture coils 4/3

Was wondering if anyone has run into this before.

I just resurrected a pristine 1984 venture 20k original miles, the bike was a mess when I got it but she's alive and kickin.

I rebuilt carbs, heavily varnished. Synched

ran but poorly alot of popping and poor power so I pulled the TCU and it was shot full of corrosion and water, I also noticed a homemade jumper wire going from the 3 to 4 coil, I cut but left in place, then went and bought a used TCU and it ran alot better but still not right. I then reconnected wire and it runs like a champ.. Any thoughts, I'm afraid its overdriving the drivers in the TCU, is the TCU bad, is the coils bad, is the pickups bad?. Anyone done this and why. Thanks

Mike

I'm just going to mention this because I've seen something like this twice. Once on my own bike (my own mistake) and on one other.

Try swapping the #3 & #4 plug wires. I got mine crossed up after an extended time away from working on it and it was was nuts. Popped like crazy, backfire ALL the time and just enough power to get down the road but but nowhere near what it should have been. Went back over what I had done on the bike and figured it out. Now, you would think, maybe.....the shortest plug wire from the coils would go to the closest spark plug...right? Not on mine. Swapped the wires and it was back to what it should have been. D'oh!

I was at a local bike shop one day and there was another '84 there and the owner was talking to the guys about the popping, and low power problem the bike had. He had just bought it and was fighting the electronics trying to find the issue. We talked a bit and I asked him to fire it up. Sounded just like mine had. I asked if he could pull the side covers and let me try something and he argreed. Swapped his #3 & #4 wires and it took right off. He ran it around the block and came back with one of those grins. Happy as could be. He only paid like $500.00 for the the bike because of the way it was running. He came out out on that deal.

I think there was another member here that got his wires crossed a while back to and had similar problems for a bit.

Just sayin......ya know....it's possible. Worth a try.

The jumper wire may have been an attempt to get fire on the plugs to get it running.

Mike

It ran very smooth just seemed to lack cruising speed 3-4k rpm felt like it was dragging prior to connecting wire. Carbs sync was even 4/4 and right to left, this wire connects the power lead from coil to coil...