IGNORED

83 Venture not shifting well

I have a 83 Venture and it started to shift hard and now I have a hard time getting it to shift out of 2nd gear sometimes it does and some times it don't, could this be a oil problem I just change the oil. The clutch seems to be working, it disengages and seems fine. Where do I go from here I read something about taking out the shifter rod and cleaning it. I can do all the repairs on it but I want to go to the right area for the repair. Oh and I am going on a trip next weekend maybe....lol If you could email me directly it would speed this up.

Thanks

Bubbadoo700@aol.com

Having a hard time finding neutral usually indicates time to bleed the clutch line.

Not able to get into a gear can usually be traced to the little "pins" (#7) in the selector shaft under the clutch plates cover missing or not seated properly... Located just to the rear of the clutch basket... you'll see the star washer (#8) holding the pins.

(on the left in the drawing) The clutch cover can be removed while on the side stand, but you will probably need a cover gasket.

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=131563,2,0,sport