IGNORED

Lining Air Box up??

Yammer Dan

I got a little free time so far in the morning. Anybody know a easy way to line that air box up when you get the horns that sit on the carbs out of whack?? I've aleays had a hard time with those things anyway. Maybe take all 4 boots or horns whatever you call them out of the box put them on carbs and then mount box to them? I just don't want to waste all the free time I have in the morning fighting it. Could get some more of it togather. I have someone to watch Warden in the morning. Not going to chance leaving her by herself without a watch dog!! I will only be outside but I know her. Those Air Boxes always give me fits. Got to be a easy way. I'll be on it as soon as it gets light enough to see down in there.

Turn the airbox upside down and check out the little tags on each of the boots. Those tags are suppose to be lined up in between the two lines mounded into the bottom of the actual airbox. Once all four are lined up, installation should be fairly easy. Still a struggle sometimes though.

Having had my carbs off quite a few times lately sorting out a float issue, I found that if I line up the boot in the box (with the ring clamps aligned too), set the air box into the cavity above the carbs, attach the top of the crankcase breather hose to the airbox (bottom of the hose attaches later), then drop the box into place... setting all 4 boots onto the carbs. I give it a good wiggle to ensure everything is seated, do up the clamps, then attach the bottom of the crankcase hose to the vent. I always leave the airbox drain hose until the very end, but I would suppose that is the easiest thing to attach at almost any point you choose.

Usually, if the box doesn't slip down squarely, you can feel it right away. A simple lift up and retry normally suffices.

Even though my upper carb boots are likely original and are a little softer/more pliant than new. i founs that you need to have the boots set properly in the base of the airbox first, aligned, with the clamps on.. then all pops right into place with a gentle push down and wiggle on the airbox.

Turn the airbox upside down and check out the little tags on each of the boots. Those tags are suppose to be lined up in between the two lines mounded into the bottom of the actual airbox. Once all four are lined up, installation should be fairly easy. Still a struggle sometimes though.

Can you believe I didn't know this!! I've always fought those things forever. I'll try that in the morning. Might explain why I've always had fun with the things!!

THANKS!!!

Edited by Yammer Dan

Never to old to learn. How many times have I put those things on and fought them for hrs when you get one of those boots turned out of wack!! Popped it right on there this morning.

Now where does all that plastic go????:crying: I want my 83 - 85's back!!