IGNORED

The Frustration - Leaking Fuel

utadventure

Just when you think all is going good....you start leaking fuel.

My '86 has always averaged about 32 mpg. With a trip coming up I wanted to improve that and so I did the needle shim mod about 3 weeks ago and got an improvement to 38-40 mpg. All was well!!!

The next tank I dropped to 35-36 mpg and shortly after I started to get wiffs of gas when I stopped but never had any signs of leaking under the bike. I also notice a little bit of vibration in the bike. So, I got out the carbtune and did a sync. Things were a little better but still get a gas smell here and there. Started thinking - stuck float.

Last night I put the bike on the center stand and started looking for the leak and was getting a few drops under the bike in front of the rear tire. I removed the side panels and gave each carb a thwack with the but end of a screwdriver. No change. Gave the bike a rest and came back to it 20 minutes later and repeated the procedure but this time when I popped #3 I suddenly got an evening out of the idle and a slight reduction in rpms. Turn the bike off...no more drips.

This morning I ride to work, park and suddenly get the smell of gas.. shooooot. I get off and has a dollar bill size spot under the bike.

I just got back from Wally World where I purchased SeaFoam and dumped a full can into a just new tank of gas and a short ride to get it in the carbs. Smaller puddle when I parked it this time but still there.

I guess we'll see how it does parked in the warmth with SeaFoam in the carbs for the day.

Could something else be the culprit here... diaphram issue or needle come loose?

OH The frustration!!!

I had the same issue (see thread in First Gen section).

I tried everything.. straight Seafoam into the bowls twice, let it sit. It would stop then starting dripping fuel again. Had the carbs off to check the float valves & condition of the floats.. all was well.

Yesterday, after having a bike begin to flood out, run on 3 cylinders, and puddle gas every time I stopped, I tore into it again. However, this time, after I took the airbox out (bike was still hot), I listened close as I could hear a faint hiss/whoosh. It was coming from carb #1. I pulled the slider back and I could see raw fuel dribbling into the throat, even without the bike running or the key on. Obviously the fuel level in the bowl was too high.

So I pulled the carbs off, pulled the suspect float and tweaked the tang just slightly up. Reinstalled, and wham.. back to a normal machine. Running great, no fuel issues, and the fuel pump shuts off when the carbs are full. I put about 60 miles on it last night and it seems to have solved the problem.

Good luck !