IGNORED

Darn hackers... not on here though.

LilBeaver

Apparently some folks have quite a bit of time on their hands. I got an e-mail from the IT guy that runs/maintains one of the servers that I do most of my work on. Apparently 5 of our account passwords have been compromised (that is 5 people with accounts on this system), some files have been accessed and there is some stuff missing. So, apparently my 16 character password that is case sensitive including symbols, numbers, lower case and uppercase letters (and nothing that even resembles a real English word, phone number, address, etc) wasn't quite good enough - or someone just really wanted to get in.

Now with that said, I'm pretty sure the joke is on them because most of the stuff in that account is either incomplete data analysis (since this particular experiment is still ongoing) and the rest is stuff that is completed and I either already have it published or it is in the process of being published - so they really have nothing to gain from accessing my junk.

Anyways - I'm glad I keep my stuff backed up, so I can restore everything and not think twice about what may have been monkeyed with, but regardless it is still a little bit irritating and confusing.

I just don't get some people :think:

Okay, I'll shut up and get back to work :)

Yeah some people just don't care about other peoples stuff. They don't want to work, they want to take your work. Have to wonder though, what could these people do if they did something constructive instead of desructive:confused24::soapbox: I'll quit now.

Yeah some people just don't care about other peoples stuff. They don't want to work, they want to take your work. Have to wonder though, what could these people do if they did something constructive instead of desructive:confused24::soapbox: I'll quit now.

See that is the thing, there are only a few people in the world that would know what any of my work means. This is because of the nature of my experiments (I am a Physicist), since we set them up, in order to accurately analyze the data, one must know how everything was setup initially, so even if they did take, it they wouldn't know what to do with it. :confused24:

I suspect it was not a targeted attack, but who knows.

And I agree, there are some immensely smart and capable people out there - I'm sure they could accomplish all sorts of good stuff.

You have a 1 in 3 chance it was hacked from within. Somebodies checkin on you to see if your really working..:whistling::rasberry::rotf:

* For the fifth year in a row, more respondents (74%) cited their Internet Connection as a frequent point of attack than cited their internal systems as a frequent point of attack (33%).

You have a 1 in 3 chance it was hacked from within. Somebodies checkin on you to see if your really working..:whistling::rasberry::rotf:

Haha - yea right. Check away!! While they are in there it would be nice if they could contribute and do some work for me :whistling:

* For the fifth year in a row, more respondents (74%) cited their Internet Connection as a frequent point of attack than cited their internal systems as a frequent point of attack (33%).

Now that is interesting. I guess not all that surprising, but interesting. I may inquire a little more when things settle down for the IT guy. - mostly for my curiosity.

I only needed the stuff for the small Hadron Collider I'm building in my backyard....sorry.:bang head:

:crackup::crackup: You must have an awfully large back yard!!! Or very understanding neighbors :rasberry: