IGNORED

Ride for Life

Sailor

Just got back from the Ride for Life in Victoria. It was their first ride. Miserable day ,rain,rain and more rain but we still had about 500 bikes out. Had about 1000 for the Ride for Dad. The difference is that all money raised on the Ride for Life goes to the local cancer clinic instead of going to Ottawa to be doled out. FYI the prostate cancer clinic in Victoria is the best in North America with a 95% survival rate as compared to 65% elsewhere. They called for a minute of silence and had a piper play a tune in recognition of "D" day, the allied invasion of Europe. Saw a couple first gens and a couple second gens there. Still had a good ride in the pouring rain. My oldest son was there, my youngest son buys odd ball bikes that are rarely on the road, and a friend who just bought his first bike. I told both of them I did not expect them to hang in as I was the only one who had experienced cancer ( twice now) but they both did. BBQ and band at the end of the ride. I met a couple who were examining my bike. They asked what it was. I told them and they said they had never heard of Yamaha or Venture. Obviously Yamaha has work to do. I think they were new Harley riders. I was surrounded by Hardleys and for the first time I noticed just how much bigger the Venture is than a Harley. It really stood out. Saw a guy trying to catch up to me going over the "hat". He was on a KTM or similar bike. I slowed down. I had been doing about 120 kph. I had to laugh. He had a jacket on but those yellow rain gear work pants with suspenders over the jacket. The pants were flaring out about 8 inches on each side. He was scooping up the rain as he rode. I think next year will be better.

We were gonna do the Ride last weekend which was May 30th but that was my b/day and we had a family "party" already planned so I guess it will be next year for us. We've been to the past 2 "Ride for Dad" events here in Vancouver and I think there were about 2,000 bikers last year. Haven't heard what the turnout was this year... maybe 1,998 (coz we weren't there LOL).

Too bad the weather hasn't been more favourable this year although yesterday (Saturday) over here was awesome and we got out for a nice day-long ride. First chance I've had to really test out the new rear tire ... it's a real improvement!