IGNORED

Planning a specific route?????

bugfish69

I an new to the GPS world. I have used a non-map handheld to mark tree stands and good fishing holes but that's about it.

Recently we used a family members Garmin Nuvi on an out of town trip and it was fabulous for finding our way around and getting back again.

One issue we had was that we could not specify a route. Granted, once i took a turn off course it was quick to recalculate, but the feature I want is to be able to specify which roads I take ahead of time.

I could look at the map determine my route but the nuvi would not let you pick a route road by road ahead of time. I think that is important as I may not be familiar enough with the roads to know how to take alternate routes without the help of the GPS.

Is this feature available on other GPS modules or did I miss something on the Nuvi. It is not covered in the details of most units. I am considering the follwoing uints after reading he posts here and doing research.

Lawrence Iway 350C

Magellen 2200T

TomTom Rider 2

Garmin Zumo

Any advice on this feature and these units would be apprecieated.

Guest ReinyRooster

I believe most units allow you to set your course by the use of waypoints, or what they refer to "Points of Interest". You set your route using these POI's to take your down a specific route, or past a certain location. My TomTom Go 910 allows me to input my own POI's as well.

Guest sargeb13

I don't have a Nuvi, but Garmin's web site says you can post up to 500 points of interest on a Nuvi, and the gps will route between them. I do this for my Garmin using Garmin's map program on my pc (it can be done on the gps and one the fly, but its a whole lot easier to do on the pc and download to the gps). I routed a ten-day trip with multiple twisty routes along senic byways using the pc in one evening. If you've not yet done so, put your home, work and other significant locations in the gps as points-of-interest and you can always route to them on the fly from wherever you might be!

Gamin's web site as FAQ's that address using POI's and route planning, which might help.

Michael

on my streetpilot you can only route to a location, you can't specify which route to take but you can detour and it'll automatically recalculate.

The only addition to that is that you can have one via point - after you select your destination, you can pick a gas station or whatever and route through that point to your destination.

If I want to go a specific route then I will enter each intersection along the way and route to those in turn. They'll pop up in the "recent selections" so you can find them easily on the way if you find for them ahead of time...

I have the Lowrance Iway 500. I do routes a couple of different ways, if it is a fairly easy route, I just program in the final destination. When I look at the route, I can pick a point and tell it to detour there in order to force it to take a different road. If I am putting in a complex route, I pick out the first point, add that as my destination, then pick the second point, add it as a new final destination, and repeat until I have my preferred route entered. I have used that process to set up multi-day trips with no problem.

On the Zumo 550 , set your first destination , then start . Then set the next , then the next , then the next till the final stop . It will ask you at each destination set in whether it is a new destination or set as via , set it as via . I have done this with mine and not turn off nor stop the course . So I cannot say whether it will save the routes the next time you turn on the gps . Setting your course with via's on the map program on the computer , then transferring to gps will allow you to save that exact route . I have 2 gps programs on my laptop . Also a gps antenna for laptop as well . Delorme's secrete is to start , via , add to via , etc.....till stop . Otherwise it will have you going in circles between each via .

BEER30

I have the Zumo 550 and a Streetpilot 2610 before that. Both let you set your end point, begining point and many via points in between. I use the via points to force it to take me off of the most direct route. Most of the time I just set the route up with the GPS. I have not used a Nuvi but I would expect it to work similarly.

DT