IGNORED

Got wet now missing, help

I recently washed my 84 XVZ 1200 (just shy of 40K miles and prodominantly all original equipment) giving it a good soaking. Ever since the wash, the bike has been missing. I'm no electrical genius but I suspect I got something wet that either should not have or I have something shorting out. I thought if I got the bike good and hot she'd dry off but that has not happened. Still missing and as a result, hard to start. Prior to getting wet, she fired up immediately.

Any suggestions? Please help.

Thanks

John-Michigan:crying:

I recently washed my 84 XVZ 1200 (just shy of 40K miles and prodominantly all original equipment) giving it a good soaking. Ever since the wash, the bike has been missing. I'm no electrical genius but I suspect I got something wet that either should not have or I have something shorting out. I thought if I got the bike good and hot she'd dry off but that has not happened. Still missing and as a result, hard to start. Prior to getting wet, she fired up immediately.

Any suggestions? Please help.

Thanks

John-Michigan:crying:

pull your plugs and dry them out ... chances are one or more of them got some condensation.

Also, under the Air Cleaner box, pull the two plugs out, and dry, and clean the contacts. ( 6 on one plug, 8 on the other plug )

Also, check the Red, " Run - Stop " Switch on the right handlebar.

Any excess resistance across that switch, will lower the voltage to the Ignition System.

The spark plugs recesses have a drain hole that is "suppose" to drain the water away behind the tall grooved plates along the cylinder sleeve sides. These are easily cleaned!

The TCI has two small "vent holes" and water can easily get sprayed inside where it gets on the ignition circuit. Pull the TCI, put it in an oven for an hour or two at about 150 and put it all back together (you can "test fire" the engine by hanging the TCI to the side with the two large connectors attached !)

That's why many of us moved our TCI up above the brather box!