IGNORED

Small Electrical Problem on 93

I installed a cigarette lighter on my 93 Royale. I inserted an inline fuse between it and the battery connection and used a 30amp mini fuse. Every once in a while it pops the fuse, some times two fuses in a row and then maybe 4 or 5 trips before it blows another fuse.

ANy Ideas on how to keep from blowin fuses?

Thanks

BIG HACK :puzzled:

I installed a cigarette lighter on my 93 Royale. I inserted an inline fuse between it and the battery connection and used a 30amp mini fuse. Every once in a while it pops the fuse, some times two fuses in a row and then maybe 4 or 5 trips before it blows another fuse.

ANy Ideas on how to keep from blowin fuses?

Thanks

BIG HACK :puzzled:

Is it only blowing when you use lighter, or is it blowing when lighter has not been used.

If only when lighter has been used, possibly a bad element in lighter.

If lighter has not been used, then find the short to ground in the positive lead between the fuse and the lighter plug.

30 amps is a bunch of current. That is more than the equivalent of 7 headlights worth of current

It would almost have to be a short if you are using this outlet to power a GPS or other electronic device.

Gary

Guest seuadr

ya, i'd have to suspect a short. another issue that could cause you problems that iv'e seen in AC (but not DC, should still be the same principle, though) is if the fuse holder isn't sitting tight and it manages to seperate a little, that'll cause an arc, which could be strong enough to pop the fuse. i'd be a little supprised if it was pulling 30 ams worth, but its within the realm of possability. just something to check also.

One place to check is the socket itself where the wires are. Make sure there is plenty clearance between the center hot conection and the ground. Even though there may be clearance as you look at it, when you press the element in the force could push the hot lead to the side and short out against the shell which is of course ground...