IGNORED

Passing Lamps

Smilerider

I am looking to change/upgrade the passing lamps on my RSV. They are the Yamaha OEM sealed beam style, and I would really like to change to something with a replaceable H3 bulb. I would still like to use the existing mounts, is there a way or a different lens housing I can use? I also hate that the sealed beam is "yellow" compared to my Silverstar Ultra. Any and all help you can provide would be great..

Thanks JM

:bagpipes-emoticon:

actually there is a bigger variety of compatible sealed beams than there is H3 type bulbs, I discovered after buying H3's for my RSTD.

UMMMM the part number you gave STR-4XY35-10-00 is for a V-Star Sealed Beam passing lamp, which is the same as the sealed beam lamp for the RSV. It takes a PAR36 bulb. Click HERE to go to the Star Motorcycles website.

The H3 Passing lamp is part number STR-4NK35-10-01 according to the Star Motorcycles website HERE which is the same part number for the H3 passing lamps from the Royal Star Tour Deluxe HERE.

For me, the drawback with the lamps that take H3 bulbs is you cant change the beam shape.

BTW, there are more than 100 different PAR36 size lamps that fit into the RSV passing lamp housing.

I am going with one of theses but I have not made up my mind as I need to see what bulbs Yamaha put in the box and how I like them:

12 degree tall by 12 degree wide:

Halco 107782 50 Watt, 5000 CBCP, 910 Lumens, 5000 hour life and cost $7.53 each

Halco 107794 35 Watt, 3500 CBCP, 540 Lumens, 5000 hour life and cost $7.53 each

5 degree tall by 5 degree wide:

Halco 107784 50 Watt, 25000 CBCP, 910 Lumens, 5000 hour life and cost $7.53 each

Halco 107796 35 Watt, 17000 CBCP, 540 Lumens, 5000 hour life and cost $7.53 each

They also make the 35 and 50 Watt bulbs in a 32 degree spread, but that is to tall for me.

I have also found a few PAR36 bulbs that have two filaments in them, either for redundancy or run them both with the high-beams on empty roads.... The drawback is they cost about $30 each and have a much lower life.

Look up lighting supply in the yellow pages.

Hardware and auto parts stores carry only a few bulbs but a good lighting supply can get you LOTS of choices.

Tell them you want PAR36 form factor and 12 Volt filaments.... two screw lugs help to hook up to Yamaha's supplied wiring.