IGNORED

friend needs help diagnosing

He may have it figured out but here is what he says. Let me know your thoughts.

the code is 9 flashes from the engine indicator light - the service manual tells me it is the emergency stop switch(tilt sensor). We bypassed that and did not get the code, but the bike would not start. According to the manual this tells me that it is the ignitor unit(control unit). No test for this unit - replace it.

What kind of bike? Venture? 1st gen.? 2nd gen.?

:sign yeah that:

If that is what the service manual says, and there aren't any tests for that particular unit, then sounds like replacing it is the way to go. Depending on how hard it is to get to and if someone with a similar bike is around, you could always put in the one that you know works (out of the other bike) to see if the error goes away. :confused24:

Something else to check is to make sure that the 'tilt sensor' was actually bypassed correctly. But without any more information I don't know that we can help you anymore than has already been discussed.

If you 'bypass' the tilt sensor then the bike should not run, this is normal.

The tilt sensor is a roller ball switch that makes a contact to ground at some predetermined angle and shuts down the ignitor unit.

The switch has a normally open contact that closes when tilted.

Here is a link to simplified RSV circuit.

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/99-09%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Venture%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20B.pdf

Tilt (Fall Over on schematic) is in upper right quadrant.

Gary