I have an 83 VR and tonight I thought I would check the coolant level in the radiator. I can only get the cap undone about 1/3 of a turn. I tried pressing down while turning counter clockwise, but it just won't come off. Am I missing something?

I have an 83 VR and tonight I thought I would check the coolant level in the radiator. I can only get the cap undone about 1/3 of a turn. I tried pressing down while turning counter clockwise, but it just won't come off. Am I missing something?

Sometimes the rad covering trim will interfere with removing the rad cap. I filed down the area, that caused problems with mine. Just try initially, removing the trim cover & see if the cap will come off normally.

not on a '83, like Rocket said, it's the cover that interferes.

Take the trim pieces of on the side (the ones with the reflector and you can rotate the rad cover forward (top down) and then gently lift that sucker up to clear the pins. If you try to pull it straight out you'll brake the hanging tabs and it will be a tad harder to re-install.

Have fun

Take the trim pieces of on the side (the ones with the reflector and you can rotate the rad cover forward (top down) and then gently lift that sucker up to clear the pins. If you try to pull it straight out you'll brake the hanging tabs and it will be a tad harder to re-install.

Have fun

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll have a go at it again tomorrow.

:Cool_cool36:

Have fun

I don't think it's all '83's. I don't remember having a problem taking mine off last summer when I flushed the system??

Guest seuadr

i have an 87 mk2 and the same problem. like mentioned before, it seems in some instances the cover interferes with the cap. i filed mine down too and works fine now :)