IGNORED

A Letter to my local newspaper

Guest human4m

Guest human4m

I just sent an email to Jacksonville Daily News... I figured I'd post it here, and see what y'all thought...

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:48 PM

To: 'jdnletters@freedomenc.com'

Subject: 'Tis the season to pay attention.

As the weather is warming up, and the skies are staying drier, people are spending more time outside, enjoying the change in scenery. Whether it’s to have a cookout, start a garden, go to the park, or just enjoy a weekend drive; more people will be on the roads.

With this in mind, I’m asking everyone to take an extra moment, look a little harder and pay more attention. While many people are feeling safe in their cars, there are a lot of people like myself who are taking the covers off our motorcycles, and getting our gear together to go for a ride.

I DO admit, there are many riders who act senselessly; squeezing between cars, popping wheelies, and racing down the roads, but I am not one of them. I am one of the overwhelmingly more present safe riders who keep our heads on a swivel, cruise around safely, and are always making every attempt to be aware of our surroundings while enjoying the freedom of two wheels. Even though we do everything we can, there are still people who drive their cars, trucks, vans, and SUV’s in such a manner as if motorcycles don’t exist, and it’s killing us. Literally.

Read through this, and give it some thought. We’re not on motorcycles because we’re crazy… We ride because it’s a feeling of freedom that is inexplicable to a non-rider.

Please put some kind of note, even if it’s a small one SOMEWHERE in the JDNEWS advising people to be on the lookout for motorcycles, since it is that time of year. I don’t know of any other way to get the message out to drivers, without another biker getting killed by a careless driver.

Patrick Henninger

Desktop Support Analyst

Moen Inc. New Bern, NC

(252) 638-3300 x6374

In our area spring riding starts New Years day... We have had 4 riders killed localy so far this year. Each has been hit by a car that "did not see them". The one exception was a fellow in a stolen car... he made an illeagal left turn on a highway and killed a rider and his lady... then got out of the car and ran away... he was found 36 hrs later.

Our local government feels the best way to deal with this is to put all riders into motorcycle riding training with a graduated licencing system.

This is one of the letters in our local paper today..... (hoping it works)

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/letters/Make+drivers+aware+traffic+roads/2715331/story.html

I hope your letter helps make your local drivers more aware !!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch them.... they are not watching you !

Guest human4m
Awesome... hope ya don't mind but I copied your words and sent it to our local newspaper (excluding your name of course).

By all means, copy and paste away! I'd like to see every newspaper put something about motorcycle advisory!

In our area spring riding starts New Years day... We have had 4 riders killed localy so far this year. Each has been hit by a car that "did not see them". The one exception was a fellow in a stolen car... he made an illeagal left turn on a highway and killed a rider and his lady... then got out of the car and ran away... he was found 36 hrs later.

Our local government feels the best way to deal with this is to put all riders into motorcycle riding training with a graduated licencing system.

This is one of the letters in our local paper today..... (hoping it works)

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/letters/Make+drivers+aware+traffic+roads/2715331/story.html

I hope your letter helps make your local drivers more aware !!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch them.... they are not watching you !

I wrote a letter to The Province about that the other day ...

http://www.theprovince.com/opinion/letters/Vehicular+aggression/2708295/story.html

The link you posted is from our own member Sailor.