IGNORED

Previous Harley Owners

Kirby

On the financing and payments:

I have paid cash for every bike I have ever owned.

I cannot finance what for me is a toy.

I have financed many cars, some homes, but never a toy, vacation or any entertainment.

That's just plain un-American!

Buy now, pay later! (or try to, anyway)

You're not getting any younger! (just poorer)

You deserve it! (why is that, exactly?)

Look at the tiny payment! (just ignore the interest rate and total cost)

Take out a home equity loan! (and stay in debt forever)

Looooook, shiiiiiiinnyyyyy! (ummmm... can't argue with that)

:)

:stirthepot:

ive ridden lots of bikes over the years, and got into the touring group in the early 90's. had 2 gl 1200 wings, both great bikes, the second i owned for 12 years. never let me down. i decided last year i wanted a harley. never owned one before, and i wasnt getting any younger, so i found a wrecked 89 FLHS electra sport. i should probly mention that i build bikes (just kinda goofing off about it), and had the previous year built a stripped down, hotrodded 77 gl 1000( 1100 engine now). so, i was used to unending power, smooooooooooooth power, great handling, pull like a locomotive, and never need to be wrenched. the harley ran great, had a factory new Evo motor just before the guy wrecked it. i loved the sound, hated the shake. i loved the look, hated the handling, loved that i could ride with the HD guys too, and "fit in", HATED that i didnt stand out from the crowd anymore. i sold the bike, made a nice profit actually, paid off 2 credit cards, and bought my 83 venture royale last fall. this bike, almost as fast as my 77 wing. smooooooth unending power, but it still doesnt come close to the handling i am used to. this one wanders in the lane constantly, and in a hard corner, waffles almost as much as the harley. its time is limited.......ill build another old wing, in the harley style (batwing fairing and bags) low, loud, and FAST........and i guarantee, ill outrun the harleys, and run the twisties like a crotch rocket.

Edited by irydasteelhorse

Well they made alot of Harleys in the last 10-20 years. Baby boomers were buying them like crazy when the economy was good and the money was flowing. Economy not so good now it s a luxury item bikes unfortunately are not required for life item. Boomers starting the road to retirement some just plain selling their bikes and hanging up the chaps. Probably see a glut of them in the used market in the future.

Look at the tiny payment! (just ignore the interest rate and total cost)

I ALWAYS look at Total Purchase Price, and sometimes I look at cost of ownership

But NOT on a toy as it is just a toy, and if I pay cash I can buy more toys with the same amount of money and that is American becasue:

He who dies with the most toys, wins........ ;)

I ALWAYS look at Total Purchase Price, and sometimes I look at cost of ownership

But NOT on a toy as it is just a toy, and if I pay cash I can buy more toys with the same amount of money and that is American becasue:

He who dies with the most toys, wins........ ;)

I was being facetious, and agree with what you wrote completely. I bought my first streetbike on my 16th birthday, brand new, from a dealership, with cash. I had worked and saved for over 2 years.

I also have paid cash for every bike I have ever owned.

I also cannot justify financing anything that is not a necessity.

I also financed my first 3 cars/trucks and my homes, but never a toy, vacation or any entertainment.

The banks and credit card companies hate us, as all the money they spend in the media trying to convince us to spend spend spend isn't working.

:)

Got permission to by a bike after a 30yr break in the spring of 2008. Went straight to Harley an bought a 2008 Ultra Classic. Put 500kms on it and then let the dealer upgrade it to a 103 cu in. After 20kms it was backfiring and kept stalling, back to the dealer and find out the oil pump is no good (or so they say). They say they fixed it and away I go again, at 1000kms it starts with the backfiring again and is now knocking. Back to the dealer to be put on hold by Harley D to figure it out. Two days later I walk in to the shop to see it still apart and see the oil pump drive gear with teeth missing. Tell the dealer I will be in tomorrow to get every nickel back that I put into it. Go back the next day and pick up the check and put it in the bank( yes there was bad words exchanged). Went to the Yamaha dealer two days later and bought a 2008 RSV. Haven,t looked back.

I had a 76 FLH that was my mistress for several years. I turned it into Wide Glide before Harley brought theirs to market. In 81 I bought Yamaha XS1100 Venture and haven't looked back. The Harley was fun to build and fun to ride, but the Yamaha was so much faster, smoother, had a fairing and bags and it didn't require constant maintenance. I was tired of eating bugs, owning 10,000 bungee cords, and I wanted to ride more than wrench, so the Harley was sold later that year.

I still have a soft spot for Harley's and considered an Ultra Classic, but the 06 RSV won out.

I had a 2004 RSV and went to a 2007 Harley. I had NO warranty issues with it or problems, however the vibration , the HEAT (WOW!!!) off the engine , the truck-like transmission (sorry , there is no way in this day and age a tranny should clank like that) and the general feeling it wasn't put together quite as nice as my RSV nagged me , and I am now on a 2010 RSV. Don't regret trying the Harley , its wasn't a bad bike , it was however (In my opinion) very overpriced and did NOT hold its value any more than anything else I owned.

I had a 2001 Sporty for about 3 months and sold it becuase it didn't have the rubber mounted engine and about 40 minutes of riding it I was so numb from the vibration. I thin bought a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard M50, it was a nice riding bike, then got the Harley bug and bought a 2008 HD Dyna Lowrider. Put lots of money in it for upgrades it was a nice bike for short trips around town. Took a long trip 400+ miles with a group and after about 5+ hours of seat time I couldn't go any further. One of the folks in our group had a 2007 RSV with his wife and they looked so comfortable and was still ready to go. Long story short, the HD is gone and I'm on a 2007 RSTD and loving it.

I'll throw a nickel in here just to anti up. I grew up an HD dealer kid and of course what my dad sold was the best. HD was instilled in my brain for way too many years and as a result I came to have a passion for them. I'm still stuck on the styling, HD, to me, has the look,,,classic. Many say, "everything else is a wannabe". After riding and owning many HD's from my first 165 to my last 80 incher I never tired of the look. I was somewhat impressed when Indian was resurrected to be followed by Henderson and Victory. It looked like classic was in but, I was not prepared for pricing. The Indian was just a style with an S&S motor and very expensive. Henderson faded and Victory, well I think it should have stayed simple, sans the Ness and "Gerbil" or whatever influence.

I was in a couple years break from owning a motorcycle due to a street rod addiction and decided it was time to get another bike. Hand in hand with the wifey we went shopping. Let me say here, "Cookie" is "FRUGAL"! I was like a kid in a candy store at HD. The pin lights shining down from the ceiling on about 50 bikes sparkled all the chrome and custom colors. I was dazzled so much I only glanced at the price tags, all the while, Cookie was stacking beans! She said, "Ok, enough, lets try someplace else", I'm think'in "Where could that be"?

Next town over was the Yamaha dealer. We walked in and she made straight for an RSVS. From 20ft away I thought, Hummm, "CLASSIC",,, plus,,, V4, 5sp, shaft drive, great warranty, yada yada yada and......comfy! She wrote the check for $10k less than the HD. That was that!

I've since personalized "OUR" RSVS. It looks as much like a HD only the "well trained eye" refuses to wave! (I even added a round air cleaner to the right side to cover that naked area).

I guess all in all, as the saying goes, "It isn't what you ride, it's that,,,, you ride". For us, the RSVS gives me all that I want in a bike, classic styling, comfort and dependability for a price that didn't tempt me to take out an equity loan. I still favor HD's, it's in my DNA but not my budget!

RENNE................