I am just now reassembling my 86 VR after much TLC over the winter. Question: has anyone left the black air dampers off the engine? {just on top of the valve covers}. Any reason to use them?

I want to thank all the technical contributers here for their work, it has helped alot on my project!

The list....

removed fairings and fixed all the plastic cracks with epoxy and "glass,and repainted

fixed class computer

rebuilt the suspension/bushings with the zerks, lubed shaft etc

removed the stereo/cb and all related components and replaced the plastic covers with stock non-VR parts [about 30 lbs of stuff}

replaced the seat with aftermarket {bought used from here}

replaced fork seals and front brakes

replaced the pipes with new Macs {bought here}

adjusted valves,tuned,carbsync etc

I only rode the bike once after buying it last fall... so I am itching to get going!

Thanks, Gary

I am just now reassembling my 86 VR after much TLC over the winter. Question: has anyone left the black air dampers off the engine? {just on top of the valve covers}. Any reason to use them?

After the first ride in 100+ temps you'll know why they're there..... :)

After the first ride in 100+ temps you'll know why they're there..... :)

He ain't lyin'! Ran a couple hours in about 110 degree heat. After that ride, all my package needed was some BBQ sauce. The heat came right up through the seat.

For some reason mine do not have those things. Must of been the PO that took em off.

He ain't lyin'! Ran a couple hours in about 110 degree heat. After that ride, all my package needed was some BBQ sauce. The heat came right up through the seat.

Hey I put 7 hours in the saddle at 105deg. I have 'm and it still got real toasty....:scorched: