IGNORED

bolt length on eBay handlebar risers

atlm

For those of you who have installed the shiny handlebar risers from eBay, did you use the bolts that came with them? They're a bit shorter than the stock bolts plus the riser length, meaning they'll have less threads engaged than the stock bolts. I'm wondering if they're fine, or if I need to order longer bolts from somewhere.

Or for anyone with Barons risers, do you know what length bolts ship with those? The ones from eBay are 60mm (thread length).

The risers are beautiful, btw. wowza.

Thanks for your replies! In the end, paranoia won, though.

The stock setup (without risers) doesn't have very much thread holding things in place. I'm sure it's fine, and was engineered properly for the expected loads. But the 60mm bolts with the eBay risers result in even less thread (between 1/8" and 3/16" less), holding a setup with a longer torque arm, and that set off my "this doesn't feel right" alarm.

I looked at the Barons website, and their risers ship with 65mm bolts, which equals just a bit more thread holding things in place than the stock bolts without risers. And that would make me feel much better.

So, McMaster Carr just made a few dollars for 65mm stainless bolts.:mo money: If anyone else with eBay risers is as nuts as me :eek: and decides they want longer bolts, I had to order a set of 10, so I'll have 6 left over.

And right after placing the order I got an email from Barons that they're having a 25% off sale, almost like they were watching my whole thought process.:doh: oh yeah? Well mine are shinier!:rasberry::cool10:

:)

• 2 weeks later...