IGNORED

gps power question

The Black Pearl

Ok for you electrical guys I have added a fuse block under my seat and I have a gps and sat radio on a ram mount on the resv mount and had run the cig plug power cord inside the fairing where I pulled the cig port out of the fairing and put a splitter in it. Now I have replaced the outlet in the fairing and am wondering if i can pull a power line from the block for it? how would i wire it together ? recommendations on fuse size? thanks guys

Huh? Why run power to it if you installed a splitter? (which I wouldn't of done as the cig port in the fairing is low wattage to begin with). What did you mean by splitter? You mean a Y cable into the cig lighter to run both GPS and Sat radio? If so, should not have a problem other than being ugly. Can you run a separate wire to it? Yes, if it's the only power wire and you have it fused. Be careful with the gauge wire you are using, I wouldn't go below 14 for a cig plug. Also, a GPS and sat radio pull less power than any light on the bike.

Huh? Why run power to it if you installed a splitter? (which I wouldn't of done as the cig port in the fairing is low wattage to begin with). What did you mean by splitter? You mean a Y cable into the cig lighter to run both GPS and Sat radio? If so, should not have a problem other than being ugly. Can you run a separate wire to it? Yes, if it's the only power wire and you have it fused. Be careful with the gauge wire you are using, I wouldn't go below 14 for a cig plug. Also, a GPS and sat radio pull less power than any light on the bike.

it was a y splitter but to keep it from hanging all over the out side of the fairing (being ugly lol) i split the fairing and pulled the outlet back in the fairing, i now have it all opened up again and hate the clutter in there so want my outlet back where it belongs and run power to the sat and gps from the fuse block i put in