IGNORED

How to tell if the rear shock it going bad?

I have seen on-line listings as low as $430, or so. Keeping my eyes open on this - I have a 2002 Midnight that I have had for just over a year with about 50,000 miles on it. The shock sometimes groans a bit when I sit on the bike but this has been going on for the last 25,000 miles.

When the time comes, I'll probably replace it with the OEM shock, unless somebody is offering a rebuild by then. I remember reading something about rebuilds awhile ago but never found out whether anyone had any luck with it.

Ross

I have seen on-line listings as low as $430, or so. Keeping my eyes open on this - I have a 2002 Midnight that I have had for just over a year with about 50,000 miles on it. The shock sometimes groans a bit when I sit on the bike but this has been going on for the last 25,000 miles.

When the time comes, I'll probably replace it with the OEM shock, unless somebody is offering a rebuild by then. I remember reading something about rebuilds awhile ago but never found out whether anyone had any luck with it.

Ross

I spoke with Works Performance earlier in the week, and they offer a rebuild. The shock coast $689 and the rebuild if it fails for $150. They build the shock based on your weight, 2 up, trailer pulling and what not.

Ben

I spoke with Works Performance earlier in the week, and they offer a rebuild. The shock coast $689 and the rebuild if it fails for $150. They build the shock based on your weight, 2 up, trailer pulling and what not.

Ben

I assume that this "rebuild" is for their Works Performance shock only. Not a bad deal if you expect to replace two or more shocks in the remaining time you own the bike. ($689 + $150 = $839 vs. $430 for a new OEM) I would like to see someone offering a rebuild for the OEM for a similar rebuild price, i.e. up to $200 (or at least the parts to do it yourself). Should be possible but not worthwhile unless they can get a lot of buyers. Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) the Yamaha 5-year warranty ends out taking care of the majority of the failures that happen during the time that most people keep their bikes. Yamaha is not much interested in helping an owner of an "old" bike. It is their best interest to get you to buy a new machine, so I wouldn't expect them to offer a cheap replacement to the customer or key parts to a rebuild shop. Yamaha may also have a liability risk for helping to refurbish a failed shock; they could be blamed if a future failure results in injury or death.

Ross

I have a 2002 venture with 25,000 miles. The rear shock leaks only when I jack up the bike to change the rear tire and leave it jacked up for few days. On the fence on when to replace the shock, now or when it fails completely,have not had any problem with the ride,but all riding is one up. Also have not decided what to change it with.

• 3 months later...

Well looks like I am a victim to the rear shock failure as well. Hauled it home from Mo to Va last week to ride to Rolling Thunder with my dad. He has a Harley and walked out to the building where the bikes were and started making fun of my oil leak, I said no it's not mine, that is where your Harley was parked. Well low and behold it was mine. Thought I had an oil leak first but realized quickly it was the shock. Rode just fine for the 4 hours up to DC but on the way back about 2 1/2 hours ino the ride I noticed the ride go away very quickly. Bouncing on every bump. And on the way up the country road to my dads, I couldn't even control it on the turns.

Mine is a 2000 with just over 76k for mileage.

One question about riding it with it blown though, won't the bouncing and such cup the tire? I know it is not good to drive a car with blown shocks just curious if it is the same on the Venture?

Shock Yamaha and WorkShock (Works Performance)

After a little research and talking to some shops that specialize, I found that for the most part the shock being the only one on that heavy bike takes a beating. The life of the oil inside of the shock will start to breakdown in about 2 years. So what I’m trying to say is after about 2 to 3 years the shock should be rebuilt. Which consist of o-rings and new oil.

The Yamaha shock runs about the same price as the workshock (Works Performance) shock. The different is that the Yamaha shock is not rebuildable. The workshock shock can be rebuild many times. Workshock are really friendly folks. They told me that either they can send me the parts (kit) to rebuild myself or they can do it for around $50. to $75. It dose takes a little time to get it adjusted right. Onces the shock has been adjusted to the riders, it’s a great ride.

My Yamaha shock was worn out and I did not know it. I found the best way to check is to push down on the back of the bike and check to see how fast it rebounds. If is like spring spring bounce bounce real spring-e, it’s bad. I went around checking other new ventures, I must have checked 10 to 20 of them. That’s when I know that I had a worn out shock. It was wasted. At that time I had about 60,000 on the bike. The grounding noise I had that for three years, it never went away. I tried to fine some way to get a little oil in there, even removed the thing, but never had any luck. With the shock completely worn out it still had oil and would hold air right down to the pound.

When I first replace the shock, man what a different. I forgot what a shock was there for.

Work Performance Products Inc. (Works Shocks)

21045 Osborne St.

Canoga Park, CA 91304

Fax 818.701.9043

I talk to Sanda. (It’s a man, not sure of the spelling) Don is allso there,

:7_2_104[1]: