IGNORED

Who will / will not allow their kids to have a motorcycle?

Sunrayman

I have to agree with those who have said to start them off road and have them take the MSC.

I began riding at the ripe old age of 6 years old when my father came home with a mini bike. I learned early (that day) how to dump a bike because insisted to ride with the throttle wired open.

The most I ever learned was at the MSC when I was in the Navy in my 20's (Had to get legal to ride to work)

I took a break for a few years as my wife does not (hates to) ride. Started to ride again about 2 years ago and did not realize how much I forgot. I will be taking the MSC and the ARC a few months later.

Many states require new riders to take a MSC before getting the riders endorsement.

Needless to say my 8 year old son has already said that he WILL ride when he is sixteen, he found out that you can ride at 16 in FL with a restricted solo permit. It is time to get him the mini bike or mini dirt bike. Start him early but I don't want him to have to learn how to dump a bike the first time he rides. :255:

Pray for him.

As much as I'd hate to see my kids on a bike, I'm not a hypocrite.

So, When my daughter turns 2, I'll buy her a little battery powered trike. When she turns 3 or 4, I'll buy her a little 50cc 4 wheeler. And when she turns 5 or 6, I'll buy her a dirt-bike.

That way, when she wants to get a bike, she will have good fundamentals. Kids will do whatever they want to do. Think back to the days when we were kids. I did whatever I wanted to do. I'd rather her be up-front about it, rather then going behind my back!!!

When I was 8, my Dad got me a mini bike. When I was 10, I graduated up to a small motorcycle (Yamaha JT60) and by the time I was 14, I had a Honda CB100. Even though they weren't dirt bikes, I rode all over my Dad's 25 acre farm like they were. I rode hard....jumped every terrace and went air born every chance I could. Didn't take very long until the blinkers and head light had bene torn off from wrecking. I didn't ride on the street until my early 20's. I took that same riding style to the street and needless to say, I had a few very close calls. I was smart enough to realize that my was going ot have to get rid of my street bikes if I wanted to live because I just couldn't control myself once I got on a bike so I sold my bikes. Went without one until my early 40's. I brought my son up just about the same way. He started out on a moped then ended up with a Honda XR100. He rode all over my 24 acres and the dirt roads we llive on. He too rode hard. At about 17 years of age, he wanted a sport bike and I wouldn't let him have one until he was out of the house and living on his own. (I was hoping he couldn't afford one if he was living on his own) I knew he was like me at that age and liked riding hard. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt if I had a sport bike at his age I would have killed myself on it. He ended up moving out at 21 and the first thing he did was buy a sport bike. I saw him riding like a bat out of hell a few times and it would make me cringe every time I saw it. When the economy started spiriling down hill he was force dto get rid of it and hasn't said anything about wanting another one. If he had taken after his mother in that area, I wouldn't have had a problem with him getting a bike but I think you have to evaluate how responsible they are and I think the type of bike they want might be a little reflection as to how they plan on riding. I'm not saying that everyone who has a sport bike rides dangersly but it is something to consider.