IGNORED

Ignition Problem

Ron Dunne

I stored my 2006 Royal Star Venture in my outside garage in November for the winter. I went to start it today, it would not let me turn the key in the ignition. I tried spraying WD 40 in the ignition but I still can not turn the key. Any suggestions on the cause? I am sure it is the right key.

Edited by Ron Dunne

To answer your question, moisture collecting inside the key/lock cylinder, freezing then thawing out lead to corrosion, etc. which is a possible cause.

If the forks were locked, try wiggling the bars while you try to turn the key - sometimes the lock mechanism binds a little bit.

I have had good luck with http://www.drillspot.com/products/427915/Victor_00500-V_Lock_De-Icer_Lubricant that stuff. It is a de-icer and lubricant. I had to leave my truck parked outside when I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and my locks would be real hard to turn (especially the lock on my tailgate) if I didn't go around and put the key in all of them routinely.

I got the stuff at wal-mart or autozone (I don't remember which) but it was only 1 or 2 bucks for the bottle.

Good luck!

I stored my 2006 Royal Star Venture in my outside garage in November for the winter. I went to start it today, it would not let me turn the key in the ignition. I tried spraying WD 40 in the ignition but I still can not turn the key. Any suggestions on the cause? I am sure it is the right key.

It could be frozen, get a hair dryer and see if you can heat it up.

Mine does it every now and then and I have to turn the key around and it usually works.

If you think it's iced up and may have the problem again maybe try this.

http://www.brucemedical.com/nn729.html never tried it, but have thought about it before.

Personally I would avoid spraying anything into the ignition switch. Electrical circuits and liquid don't mix. But hey that's just my feelings. I know many people have sprayed WD40 into them before.

I have put bypass switches on for that occasion when I can't get the key to turn, or the dreaded ignition switch failure occurs.