IGNORED

wonky signal light

While I was working on my light bar adapter and wiring tonight, I noticed that my left signal light is acting wonky..

You know how the signal lights will blink fast when you have a dead bulb? Well, what happens with mine is that the signal light will work..... and then start going fast.. I tried the 4 way flashers and no worries there at all... but when ever I select the left signal light and leave it alone, not touching the bike at all.. it will eventually start flashing fast... I changed the bulb, pulled and tugged and pushed against all the wiring in that area and nothing shows up.. it will work fine.. then later when I engage the left signal light it most likely will do the fast flash.. Front and rear bulbs are working properly..

Is there something else I should look at? Flasher relay perhaps?

Fun fun fun!!

If my lights started acting wonky, I might just leave them alone, wonky sounds kinda kool.:smile5:

but on the other hand if that were happening to my lights, I would replace the flasher. They aren't that expensive.

btw - in your shaking and pulling etc. did you notice any mounting bolts that may need tightening ? never rule out grounding -

I have had the "fast flash" before and in my case, it turned out to be due to corrosion in the front signal socket. With the lenses off, I discovered that the wrong filament was flashing, despite the fact that the bulb was good. It was OK after I spent 20 minutes cleaning up the socket and contacts. Used dielectric grease to hopefully prevent further problems.

oooh all good suggestions! I hadn't yet checked the rear one but the front one was clean as a whistle.. so it's a possibility the rear is pooched. I did a full wire routing ad bolt torque check on the front end of the bike yesterday and today will be working on the aft end of the bike.. brutally cold out today so nothing better than spending time with babe in the heated garage..

Dielectric grease.. how much of that can you use? Do you fill the socket to keep the water out kinda thing? goosh it into the plug sockets etc? My understanding is that this stuff doesn't conduct electricity what so ever so it doesn't matter if it comes in contact across several leads, it won't cause a short or anything.. is this correct?? Or is it that you ONLY want to use enough to say it's on there.. barely showing??

I've been in the garage here all morning doing some work on the bike and have had the signal lights working for a while.. and it's all good.. nothing 'wonky' about it now.. gees, I hate snags like this lol.. however, I shall check the rear one and grease them all.. for good measure.. a little NOW while it's comfy will hopefullly save me BS down the road..

thanks guys and HNY!! w000t

I'm in the Atlantic time zone (east of the Eastern time zone, so I'll wave to you from 2010 at your 11 pm lol..

taking the advice of our friends here I pulled the rear signal light off and it was very clean.. not the problem... Hmmm what then..

I do other checks and there it is again. the fast flashing.. aww.. it only happens when I have the highway lamps turned ON.. crud..

OK then.. this means everything needs to come apart again and get the proper re-wiring and proper cable routing it sooooo desperately requires. Jiggling cables and such doesn't make it go away so I'm not sure where the issue lies but it's there..

oh well.. everyone should have a nice winter project huh?

well THAT was interesting..

After getting the light bar reinstalled with the adapter the left only signal light would flash fast after a while but soon it became no matter what you did, highway lights on or not etc.. As I was re doing the wire bundle coming up from the light bar anyway, I thought I'd find the busted wire causing the issue after a while but no dice.. huh..

Out of a whim I borrowed my buddy's flash relay (under right side cover) and yep.. there is is.. now it works properly and solid.. wow. beautiful wiring job, solid flashing.. great mount adapter.. all perfect..

except I have to pay $126 for a new relay.. oh well..

Now I have to sneak my buddy's relay back on his bike before he finds out lol

thanks to all who came up with suggestions, and to Adventure 1943, he had the right answer.. but it's not cheap.. $126 is expensive.. :0

cheers

Just having diagnosed a bad flasher relay problem, we discovered something kinda strange and wonder if someone could confirm what we hear and explain what it is..

turn the ignition ON, then turn signal light on.. but listen carefully.. you'll hear the relay click click click toc click click.. this is ONLY after turning on the ignition, not any other subsequent signal light activation.. it's around after the 3rd or 4th click of the relay, either signal light..

this is when and where my bad relay would start flashing fast..

we also surmised that there is a right and left relay circuit in the relay? does that make sense?

wow, having so much fun with this.. =)