IGNORED

Good sense prevailed.

Venturous Randy

Took a ride yesterday as it was about 62º. Just riding along down the four lane, which has a 65mph speed limit, which was about what I was going and came upon a pickup running a little slower. I checked my mirror and moved over into the left lane. I then realize there was one of the mid 90's black Impala SS' coming up to me at a good clip. Rather than kick it down a gear or two, I just cranked it on in 5th. As I accelerated past the truck, I moved over in the right lane and run up to about 85mph. The Impala had caught me and was moving past me and I was real tempted to drop down to 4th and run it up some, but I just let it go.

By this time we were going up an incline, so i just let the bike slow back to 65mph and let the car go on as he was getting faster. Just before I crested the hill, my radar detector went off. As I crested the hill, there was a Deputy diving into the median to make a u-turn. I had come upon a large truck in the right lane going about 55mph and decided to slow down and see what the Deputy was going to do. He soon came flying past me accelerating as much as that Crown Vic would do. As soon as he passed me, I swung over behind him to see if the Impala was still in site. From that point on the highway, which is straight, it was at least a mile before it crested another hill. That Impala was getting ready to start up the hill.

As I drove for the next three miles, with going over several hills and passing several roads that went into oblivion in just a short distance, I figured the Impala had got away. Then I crested a hill and there was the Deputy with lights flashing and a black Impala SS. I moved over into the left lane and gave them the old air horn toot and a wave as I passed. It did iritate me how quickly he came up on me and wondered how hard he would have had to brake if I had not accelerated as hard as I did to get out of his way.

That is one time I was just glad I used good sense because my bike really likes this cool air and was running great. As I came back that way later, I tried to keep an eye out for the Deputy as I would love to have known what he clocked him at, as it had to be well over 100mph.

RandyA

In NC, if you are ticketed for +15 or over, you have to see the judge and convince him not to revoke your license. I always find it interesting to see out of state drivers flying down our highways, I guess they haven't the same tolerances in their state. I really do like paying the least for insurance and not having to worry about losing my license.

:farmer:

This thread makes me wonder about the radar reflection a VR will produce. Most motorcycles are difficult for radar to pick up. Anybody have info and want to share?

I never had a problem with that.... :confused24: (picking up motorcycles with the radar that is)

Edited by LilBeaver
Clarification

This thread makes me wonder about the radar reflection a VR will produce. Most motorcycles are difficult for radar to pick up. Anybody have info and want to share?

It is my understanding that the radar reading is off the strongest bounceback. I am sure there is a big difference between a VR and a big SUV. The problem is you coming toward radar at 55 and an SUV farther back is doing 65. You might get the 65 ticket. If the SUV has a radar detector, he slows before it is obvious it was him. This is the only reason I use a radar detector.

RandyA

The interstate scares the crap out of me every time I get on it. Where were you?

This was not an interstate. It is one of the few highways around here with a 65mph speed limit with uncontrolled access and driveways. This was 11E south between Johnson City and Greeneville TN. And yes, I too am hardly ever comfortable on an interstste.

RandyA