IGNORED

overheating help for 84 xvz12

gord

HI all, I need some help, last nite whilst I was out for a ride, the heat gauge was around the red mark most of the time. I have lots of coolant. so I am guessing that I need a new thermostat. I have never done it before and don't even know where it is. I am more than willing to give it a go changing it. I eas hopeing that someone here has a step by step for me to follow.

Thanks Gord.

P.S. what other things would cause it to run so hot?

Gord

How fast were you traveling? is this the first time the temp gauge has been in the upper range?How many miles ect.

My 83 at speeds above 85 runs towards the red but never hits it. my 84 never comes off of the lower 1/4 of the gauge.

As for the statement that they always run towards the red I cannot agree. I know that my 83 is in need of the water pump impeller it has 90K on it my 84 has 33K.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Examine your radiator cap! Does it look like its ever been Replaced ???

Bad cap, can cause overheating.

If not, I would replace it simply due to age.

If you replace the Thermostate, be carfull not to overtorque the plastic cover on the thermostate, its made of plastic and if you overtorque the two bolts that hold it on, it will not reseal.

I suggest ordering new thermo, cover, and o-rings.

Also if you do this job, its a good time to replace All the rubber hoses around the front of the Radiator.