IGNORED

No vacuum on front head

Although this is my first post here, I have been able to find all the answers to my questions/problems over the last few months. However, I have a doozy. A couple of months ago I ended up pulling the engine out of my '89 VR because it had a bad head gasket. Eventually, I got everything back together and the engine back in the bike. Last week when I went to start it, something just didn't seem right. I thought I had air leaks around the manifolds. The o-rings were new but I pulled the manifolds off and put gasket sealer on them anyway. I still couldn't get any readings on the front carbs to synch them. It has spark and fuel, but very little, if any, dancing of the carb sliders. As it turns out, I have high pressure air coming out of both of the vacuum ports on the front head. My question is, are my front cams 180 out? I was careful with the timing marks when putting the cams back in. Or could it be something else? I certainly appreciate any advice given here.

Steve

Pull the carbs and intake boots, turn the motor over till the T2 timing mark line is aligned in the timing window in the left cover. Look down into the intake hole for #2 (front left) and see the condition of your valves. Obviously they should be closed. You can also pull the front valve cam cover and see where the lobes are. It's probably what you are already thinking, that's how it usually goes.

Good luck,

Dan

Well, I am not sure exactly what I did before, but I pulled the cams out and put them back in, making sure I didn't get confused by the little "o" and the big "O" marks. Between that and getting a decent synch on the carbs, this bike has never run as good in the 16 years I've had it. Now for the fun part of putting all the tupperware and electronics back on.

Steve