IGNORED

96 Royal star Toe shifter

I am just getting back into riding after a very long dry spell. I have bought a 96 Royal star tour classic. The problem that I have is that the heel toe shifter is not long enough for me to place my foot in between the heel and the toe. Therefore I have to place my foot outside of that area. The second is that there seems to be alot of play from left to right in the shifter. May because of wear since its a 96. Does anyone know of any after market toe shifters that will accomodate a size 12 boot? It also seems like the shifter is so close to the side of the roll bar that its hard to put your whole toe on top of the shifter. My thought was to take it to a shop and have it extended, maybe have them fill the hole with a weld (where it mounts on the shaft) and then redrill a new opening. Any comments?

Thanks

PJ

I cut the heel off of my shifter. It was just in the way. Also, Y makes a custom look toe shifter with no heel. Or, you might try a shift lever from an RSV. The heel piece is a little further back with more room for your foot.

Mine is worn and sloppy too. Not much to do but replace all the parts. I keep it greased up. Maybe that will help it from wearing so fast. It also makes it shift much easier.

If you can find a heel/toe shifter from a venture, they are wider. There is a good bit of play in the shifter. As long as the bolt is tight your ok. The bolts are known to loosen and fall out though so you should check periodically. You can also adjust the shifter up and down some.

I am just getting back into riding after a very long dry spell. I have bought a 96 Royal star tour classic. The problem that I have is that the heel toe shifter is not long enough for me to place my foot in between the heel and the toe. Therefore I have to place my foot outside of that area. The second is that there seems to be alot of play from left to right in the shifter. May because of wear since its a 96. Does anyone know of any after market toe shifters that will accomodate a size 12 boot? It also seems like the shifter is so close to the side of the roll bar that its hard to put your whole toe on top of the shifter. My thought was to take it to a shop and have it extended, maybe have them fill the hole with a weld (where it mounts on the shaft) and then redrill a new opening. Any comments?

Thanks

PJ

I just "rebuilt" my shifter pedal using a 9/16X3/8 oillite bushing. I drilled out the shifter to 14mm and forced the bushing in the bore (9/16 = 14.3 mm). I then drilled the bushing to 12mm. Work out perfect.

Where would one find such a bushing? Is that a common hardware store item?

I just "rebuilt" my shifter pedal using a 9/16X3/8 oillite bushing. I drilled out the shifter to 14mm and forced the bushing in the bore (9/16 = 14.3 mm). I then drilled the bushing to 12mm. Work out perfect.