IGNORED

K&N Air Filters

I know a lot of you run K&N Air filters.. I have to ask, how often are you cleaning these things out, 'recharging' them as it were?

I installed mine last summer, 31,000 miles ago to be exact and just now recharging them (they are soaking with the cleaner right now).. and they are just like brand new except for the spot right in front of where the air comes into the box.. a 2 inch diameter grey spot.. the rest of it is nice and red.. wow.. are you kidding me??

I have K&N's on my VSTAR, mind you they sit out in the open so they require more frequent cleaning but is this right, only once a year? And I've been up and down a lot of dirt roads, rain, dust fog and birds..

I'm impressed!!

Or should I be doing them more often on spec anyway?

I just did the hot hot water from inside-out rinsing and there was a lot of fresh RED oil floating around the tub.. almost as if these were brand new.. wow.

Under the conditions I am riding (i.e. not particularly dusty), once per year should be OK. When I did them last time, they weren't bad after 30,000+ km (20,000 mi). Good spring (or fall) maintenance item. Just make sure that you don't over-oil the filters. A fairly light spray applied to the COMPLETELY dry filter medium is enough. (I usually use a hair drier to make sure the filters are fully dry before oiling.)

Ross

Under the conditions I am riding (i.e. not particularly dusty), once per year should be OK. When I did them last time, they weren't bad after 30,000+ km (20,000 mi). Good spring (or fall) maintenance item. Just make sure that you don't over-oil the filters. A fairly light spray applied to the COMPLETELY dry filter medium is enough. (I usually use a hair drier to make sure the filters are fully dry before oiling.)

Ross

I had pulled them off mid-summer and couldn't believe how clean and bright red they still were so I put them back in.. but now they are nice and dry.. just waiting for the heavy rains to stop so I can charge them outdoors.. and they should be good for another year..

Cheers

I do mine once a year and they are clean even then. I'm sure if you lived in a more arid place they'd be dirtier, but most of us riding on pavement could probably go years. I'm more maintenance happy than that though.

Thanks M8.. I showed my buddy how to get to the filters as he's never seen it done before..