IGNORED

carb problems

Paul

Hi guys havent been on the site much lately as we have had a lot going on. I havent run the bike much this summer as the wife had an operation and we are buying a house out in the country so summer was pretty much shot. ANYWAY I stared the bike up the other day to take for a little ride, as it was warming up I ran back into the house and when I came back the bike shut off as it had run out of gas (hate my screwy fuel guage). Went and got gas and put 50 miles on. I noticed a gas smell and leak from one of the overflows, so I put half a can of seafoam and ran it another 20 miles and got it home and it is still leaking gas from one of the overflow lines. Ran it yesterday and same thing. This happens about twice a year since I got the bike 4 years ago and seafoam usually clears it up after a few days. I had the carbs off and cleaned 2 years ago and they were very clean and in excellent shape. I even put another in line filter between the fuel pump and the carbs when I had the carbs taken off. My question is am I the only one with this problem or am I just missing something? I am great at the bodywork and cosmetic stuff but not the greatest when it comes to the mechanical end of things. Any help would be appreciated as I get a little more frustrated every time this happens to the point of thinking I want to get rid of her. But I love this bike and just want to get this straightened out once and for all, but with buying a new house money is a little tight and I dont want to put a fortune into her right now.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

I'm darn sure not an expert but I have had the chance to work on my carbs with someone who knew what they where doing. It sounds like you have one of four possible problems and they all have to do with floats. First thing to do is pull the tank and find the overflow tubes and try to determine which carb is the problem. When you pull the float bowl check the float level first thing. If the float level height is within specs:

1. Bad float not putting enough pressure against the float needle. If it is a plastic float, you shine a flash light into the opposite side of the float, it will have gasoline inside. A copper or black float, pull the float and shake it.

2. Dirty float needle and seat. Pull the float and needle and clean any dirt but don't over clean. Carb cleaner and air, don't force any thing like a welding tip cleaner through it.

3 Bad needle or seat. I've never replaced one but it can't be much harder than replacing a card jet.

4 The only other thing I can think of if maybe sticky float hinge not allowing the float to move freely. Hold the carbs right side up when you check the float motion.

Hope this helps.

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll hear about it. Good Luck. :fingers-crossed-emo

Yes I added the other filter after having the problem first a few times. I thought there might be something getting through the fuel pump and into the carbs. When she runs normally she runs like great and then every once in a while BOOM there it goes, and then seafoam usually clears it up after a few days.

Paul

The next time it happens try tapping on the bottem of each carb. Two flat head screw drivers will probably work. If its a sticky float, the vibration should unstick the float. Place the tip of one of the screw drivers on the bottem edge of the carb body,(not the diaphram cover) and tap the end of the handle with the handle of the other screw driver.