IGNORED

16k maintenance

My Service Tech says it is not necessary as these are sealed bearings and unless you notice a marked difference in the way the scoot handles then leave them alone. Slight adjustments ie; tightening can be done ......and there is info in the Tech Section here which will show you just how to do that.

Boomer......who knows you can spend a fortune fixing things that are not broke.....and my wife is the perfect example of this practice.:crackup:

Note: My comments do not apply to the swingarm bearings.

My Service Tech says it is not necessary as these are sealed bearings and unless you notice a marked difference in the way the scoot handles then leave them alone. Slight adjustments ie; tightening can be done ......and there is info in the Tech Section here which will show you just how to do that.

Boomer......who knows you can spend a fortune fixing things that are not broke.....and my wife is the perfect example of this practice.:crackup:

Note: My comments do not apply to the swingarm bearings.

Boomer... are you saying you've spent a fortune fixing your wife only to find out she's not broke??

:witch_brew:

I'm thinking that somebody needs to find a new service tech. Unless they have recently changed them, they are NOT sealed bearings and certainly DO need to be repacked. I'm on the road and don't have my service manual in front of me but I'm pretty sure that it even has a section on doing the job.

In my opinion, YES, it is a job that needs to be done. There is a quick fix method of tightening the bearings but it should not be confused with the need to do it correctly. The bearings can be pretty dry from the factory. They wear and loosen up. You tighten them but because they are dry, they wear faster and have to be done again and again. The only way to do it correctly is to repack the bearing and tighten them properly.

You don't have to do it but if you don't, you will be replacing the bearings sooner than you would have wanted to. The service manager at a local Yamaha dealer told a friend that there was no reason to repack them because they were often worn out within 60,000 miles and would have to be replaced anyway. I counter that they are worn out because they are never serviced.

It is expensive to have done but though time consuming, not that hard to do yourself. I plan to do mine this winter. I did the ones on my first '99 but haven't done this one.

I stand corrected......Just called my Service Tech and had him check the books. Freebird is correct in that the steering head bearings are NOT sealed.

I know my bearings are good on my Venture so I'll wait until the really cold weather is on us before I have this maintenance action performed.:snow2:

Sorry for posting wrong info.....Good catch there Freebird!!!:bowdown:

Boomer.......who's gonna stick to giving advice about drinking,wimmen,and cathouse operations.:innocent:

Considering your response here Freebird, what is your take (or anyone's) on doing them at the 16k interval versus holding off for maybe the 32k mark (or somewhere in between). 16k just doesn't seem to be enuf of a time frame of riding to cause them to start wearing, or for that matter, for the "limited factory grease" to become so miniscule that it's not doing anything anymore ... I mean, they're not like a wheel bearing where they're spinning at a high speed.

(just curious about this)

Well, my opinion is that it is best to do them as soon as possible. From what I've seen, Yamaha is pretty stingy on the grease just as they are with the rear splines. I think that they should be done as soon as possible and THEN you can go many miles before having to worry about them again.

Well, my opinion is that it is best to do them as soon as possible. From what I've seen, Yamaha is pretty stingy on the grease just as they are with the rear splines. I think that they should be done as soon as possible and THEN you can go many miles before having to worry about them again.

Good point ... thanks. I will be doing them for sure this winter even tho I'm probably about 4k shy of 16. In fact, I will be doing a lot of preventative maintenance this winter whether it's due or not...and why not...it's a good way to spend those cold, wet days, a good way to really apply the great advice and articles here, and an excellent way to reduce possible downtime due to failure when riding season comes.

I recently got mine back from the $800 - 16k service, though I stretched mine to 20k.

I posted that I couldn't tell much difference.

Funny, that you mention the steering head. - As I was manuvering mine in and around the garage and thru the grass, I think I DO notice a difference in the steering.

But admittedly, maybe I am LOOKING for a difference, since I paid so much for the service :)

craigr