it will come on by its self and i can not

shut it off. i push and hold the control

button for 15 or 20 sec. sometimes this works

also the radio will lock up. only thing that

works is vol control

any ideas?

thanks

steve

Is it just the CB or is it the radio too?

Since you are under warranty I'd go back to the dealer and let them take care of it.

Things to check would be the connections inside the fairing, the radio ground, and then all that is left is replacing the units themselves.

Good luck! I am currently experiencing the same problem with my radio. I replaced the control on the handlebars and there was no change in behavior, so I've got a main control unit on order (I managed to find a remanufactured one).

Warranty repair as stated. I have exact same problem when it get's about 50 degrees or below(temp. sensitive). Around this temp my CB comes on and like you say only vol control works. Turn it down to zero and wait for warmer day. Probably temp sensitive IC. Will look into it this winter as my is a 99. Good luck

Should just be dirty connections in the faring. My 99 acted up like this, especially in colder weather as Moped mentioned. Cracked the faring and took all the connectors apart, cleaned the pins dielectric grease and hasn't been a problem, hot or cold, for years.

I'd still take it back for service and let them know that, it's been reported on this site, that it's a good bet it's the connectors in the faring being dirty or loose. Unless you really want to try it yourself. :whistling: :happy34:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has been acting up whenever it gets wet. I did a Steel Pony Express ride from GA to PA this past week and we were in a monsoon the entire time. :bang head: Now the CB is stuck on channel 3, the interphone volume is stuck and I cant turn on the radio. The only thing that works is the volume. None of the buttons work.:confused24: I'm going to try and open it up and pour rice in it for a few days to get all of the moisture out and clean the switches. If I can breathe some life back into it I'm going to try and seal it up real good.

Anyone know where to get new controllers incase I let the smoke out of the wires on this one? (You didn't know wires had smoke in them did you?)

Smely

Looks like it is broke real good:crying: I pulled the controller off and opened it up and did the best I could with it, sealed it back up and plugged it in. still stuck in the same place and none of the buttons work. Anyone know were you can get used/new Venture parts. Looks like these controllers can cost anywhere from $400 - $500 to replace OEM.

Pinwall Cycle parts is a good place if you really want to pay for parts.

You have a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on your bike. If it is an 08 you still have this warranty so you may be able to get it fixed by the dealer under warranty, unless they can tell that you opened up the controller then you may be in trouble...

The handlebar mounted controller is ~600 OEM and the radio main amplifier itself is 12-1400 OEM.

Pinwall has the handlebar mounted controls for around $200. I may have a functioning one available that I would be happy to sell you if the other member that I has already talked to me about it decides that he does not want it.

Did you take apart the front fairing and check the connections there?

Good luck.

My RSV is April '04 so my waranty is up. I took off the front fairing and totally removed the controller before breaking it down. I did inspect the pins and clean them up but still nothing. Wow, if you do have one for sale I would really be interested.

the cb in my 08 rsv has a mind of its own

it will come on by its self and i can not

shut it off. i push and hold the control

button for 15 or 20 sec. sometimes this works

also the radio will lock up. only thing that

works is vol control

any ideas?

thanks

steve

My RSV is April '04 so my waranty is up. I took off the front fairing and totally removed the controller before breaking it down. I did inspect the pins and clean them up but still nothing. Wow, if you do have one for sale I would really be interested.

Oh, holy crap I'm an idiot... I'm really sorry about that Smely, I somehow managed to misread the names.

I'll go ahead and send you a PM.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd let everyone know that thanks to LILBEAVER and the radio controller he sent me, mine is now fixed.:clap2: Thanks Dude.

A little word to the wise......If you see a little moisture in your radio controller after a rain, seal it up quick! Pretty costly fix.:doh:

Smely