IGNORED

Break In Confusion 09 RSV

csogbk

First off let me publicly thank KiteSquid who lives close by and was good enough to entertain alot of questions over the phone today. I'll also preface this by saying I am mechanically challenged to say the least. I am confused about the method of breaking in my 09 RSV. Thus far, I have been following the Yamaha manual's instruction of not using more than 1/3 of the throttle. However this keeps me humming along at a constant speed of 55 or so. It seems from other reading this is not good for the engine. Alot of people indicate to just drive it like you normally would, some say vary the speed and all agree change the oil at the recommended 600 miles. Any help, thoughts, tips, advise would be greatly welcomed!:178:

IMHO ... take it easy as the manual says until after that first, critical oil change. Then start opening it up but don't take it to the rev limiter.... vary the rpm's. After the second oil change... crank it on ... you can't hurt it much and "babying" it is worse than anything. Further, lugging it ain't a good idea either... keep those revvs up...that's what these engines like.

just my somewhat educated/uneducated opinion.

Guest scarylarry

I'm not a expert but I have been told all my life the rings needs a winding out to set proper and engine that is baby during break in will likely have problems when you start to open the throttle up in time...

This is what I have been told I would love to hear more on this since I just bought a 09 myself this week..

I'd follow the vehicle manufacturer's instructions.

I know a number of people say break it in fast, but they won't fix it for you under warranty if there are problems will they?

My breakin was easy to do... I bought it from a dealer 550 miles away and just rode it home on the 2 lane highways at a steady 55-60mph more or less... I took a few bursts to 65mph.

oh yes. Change the rear gear oil at least every 1,000 miles for the first 4,000 miles. You'll find lots of metal debris on the magnet on the drain plug.

My uninformed $0.02 is to follow the break-in procedure described by the manual (that seems to coincide with most other 'new' break in procedures).

In my opinion the engineers that designed the motor and wrote the manual probably know a thing or two about their motor so I would be inclined to do as they suggest.

Now that I have said that, I have read some compelling articles on doing just the opposite (ride it hard right away, etc.)...

Again, my opinion on the matter.